Road Sign Vandalism (turning of signs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed just in the last year or so many signs being turned 90 degrees so that traffic can't see them anymore, obviously created major hazards. I'm talking speed limit signs, no left turn signs, merge signs, every on ein the book, including yield and stop signs. On perfectly good roads with no road works around.

Is this the new fad? I have to keep reminding myself to check for turned signs.

There are cases where it is legitimte - such as at roadworks when certain signs have to be obscured (but why don't they just cover them as they used to do).

Just another level of asinine from our population!

On my trip to the Eastern Sierra three days ago I saw one just like that near Death Valley; someone obviously had switched a stop sign. I think it is a new fad and this is very dangerous to motorists.

Around here, when this was the sticks (not so much anymore), the most common vandalism to road signs involved a bunch of small holes which could only have been caused by a shotgun.
This went along nicely with the Confederate flags which were common in this part of Ohio until not too many years ago, even though Ohio was a Union state.

I can't say that I've ever seen a road sign turned, or otherwise obscured unless intentionally by working road crews.

On our hiking/biking trails we do see a lot of signs that have been shot by idiot hunters during hunting season. They get replaced in the spring, only to get shot up every fall.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
In Florida it's a felony to mess with a stop sign!

It probably has a 20 yr minimum sentence too.

It's an offense down here too, and can get you jail time asides from being plain stupid.

Most signs around here are shot up, which is even stupider, as carrying a loaded firearm on a public road is a serious enough offence without discharging it on/from the road.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
In Florida it's a felony to mess with a stop sign!

I don't know which is more the felony, someone who recently covered a stop sign near here in plastic, or the 911 operator who took TWO calls about it and did nothing. HOURS later people were killed, plastic could have been removed long before. Operator fired.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back