Road Noise and PSI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made an interesting observation recently,

After reading a few posts about running higher tire inflation pressures, I tried it myself.

Now, I won't bother with changes in MPG, ride quality etc. What I did notice a definite change in, in both cars (Jaguar and Honda), was that road noise was significantly diminished, especially in the Honda (notorious for excess road noise).

I had all inflation pressures upped to 40 psi...and I'm never going back!
cheers.gif

Less road noise may be due to less tire contacting the road. Which is all good except that also mean less traction.

Next year, when the tread in the center of the tires is half of what it is on the edges, you will have discovered the other downside of running tires with 40 psi in them.

You get less noise because the tire flexes less as it flattens and becomes round again. This also leads to less heat build-up in the tire with speed, and it leads to less rolling resistance because it will decrease the contact patch some. However higher pressures are better in the rain (see tirerack articles on pressure).

I run mine from 40-42 psi (door sill says 32 IIRC) - results: better steering feel, less sidewall flex, greater MPG, and great mileage out of the tires; no uneven wear at all from pressure. 40 isn't too high.

Update

Raising PSI improves road holding, handling, MPG and road noise without sacrificing wear (as long as not too high).

Only downside is a less compliant ride.

In order to put this in perspective:

What vehicle are we talking about?

What is the original tire size and pressure?

If you aren't using the original tire size, what size are you using?

And you are in the Washington, DC area, right?

messing with the psi changes road noise because it changes the tyres contact patch slightly. when a tyre is used to running at 35psi, it develops a wear pattern on the tread that is different than it would be at 30 or even 40psi.

so basically, changing the pressure might make it quieter, or louder, but its only a temporary thing. i have had tyres that go both ways, some get louder with pressure increase, some get quieter. but they all usually level out within 5000 miles.

I've been going through ---- with my G-force KDW tires. It sounds like I'm driving a 4X4 with mud tires. Tried a pressure increase, decrease, rotating tires, reverse rotation, even dynamatted the entire car with it double thick in the wheelwells and floorboard. These things are the absolute worst POS tires I've ever owned.

Back on topic, mine are quieter with lower pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back