Road Law you exploit people breaking, and one that hurts...

The one that should be disobeyed, that is easy.

There's a left turn on my way home. No arrow, and always a decent amount of opposing traffic. If you don't crawl out into the middle of the intersection and turn left on yellow/red, you are going to be sitting there for 4-5 cycles of the light, minimum.

Ohh, and it is a short-cycle light as well, you're lucky to get 4-5 cars through it going straight. Which is why you can pretty much never make a left turn on a green light.

The one that should be disobeyed, that is easy.

There's a left turn on my way home. No arrow, and always a decent amount of opposing traffic. If you don't crawl out into the middle of the intersection and turn left on yellow/red, you are going to be sitting there for 4-5 cycles of the light, minimum.

Ohh, and it is a short-cycle light as well, you're lucky to get 4-5 cars through it going straight. Which is why you can pretty much never make a left turn on a green light.

That's perfectly legal. As long as you enter the intersection (to make a left turn) on a green light, you have the right-of-way to complete your left turn when the light turns red.

And it's amazing how many drivers in this area have no clue about this. I've even seen them BACK UP when the light turns red!

OTOH, back in Chicago all the drivers know about this and they do use it. Even saw an 18-wheeler make a left turn this way!

Now the only thing you have to be concerned about this is that there are some traffic signal technicians who are morons and configure the light so it has a "yellow trap".

That's where you get a red and the oncoming traffic still has a green. It's been prohibited by the MUTCD for years, but despite (1) the MUTCD being online and (2) written in 6th-grade English, there are still some who don't get it, and, in my experience, want to argue with you about it. Stupid and stubborn is a way of life for some people...but the remedy is to go over their head to the city manager and the city attorney.

The "Boston left" consists of jumping the solid green and cutting in front of the stopped cars that just got a green to go straight. On the other hand in this situation it is considered a courtesy for the front cars to stay put and let 1 or 2 go left because otherwise they'll never be able to go.

Fortunately more and more lights are being upgraded to green arrows. The camera based traffic sensors look for turn signals to tell if one of the first few cars in line intends to turn left and give them an arrow.

The camera based traffic sensors look for turn signals to tell if one of the first few cars in line intends to turn left and give them an arrow.

Not the ones around here. They just look for the presence of vehicles. The green arrow will come on for a shared thru/left turn lane whether or not the turn signal is on.

That's perfectly legal. As long as you enter the intersection (to make a left turn) on a green light, you have the right-of-way to complete your left turn when the light turns red.

And it's amazing how many drivers in this area have no clue about this. I've even seen them BACK UP when the light turns red!

OTOH, back in Chicago all the drivers know about this and they do use it. Even saw an 18-wheeler make a left turn this way!

Now the only thing you have to be concerned about this is that there are some traffic signal technicians who are morons and configure the light so it has a "yellow trap".

That's where you get a red and the oncoming traffic still has a green. It's been prohibited by the MUTCD for years, but despite (1) the MUTCD being online and (2) written in 6th-grade English, there are still some who don't get it, and, in my experience, want to argue with you about it. Stupid and stubborn is a way of life for some people...but the remedy is to go over their head to the city manager and the city attorney.
Not in GA. It is 'Obstructing an Intersection'.

Hugely unenforced, but it does happen on ocassion.

If that's true, then GA has a traffic law that is different from any other state.

More likely that some idiot cop who doesn't know the law writes a ticket for it.

Think about it, if oncoming traffic never gives you a gap big enough to make a left turn AND there is no left-turn signal, how are you supposed to legally make your left turn?

Maybe if you stop and don't finish the turn and wait through an entire light cycle while sitting out in the middle of the intersection, my recollection of my drivers handbook from umpteen years ago is if you enter the intersection you clear it once light cycles and traffic allows which a turn usually would (excluding blocking the box). I think you might be confusing blocking the box with being able to clear an unprotected turn after light is already changing.

Oh and the cutting behind shopping centers.......I have managed retail centers for 10+ years now and it was that job that taught me the beauty of driving around the back versus dealing with the clusterF up front. 10 years doing this and no nails or weird tire punctures. I have been screwed a few times with some centers where the back drive dead ends or one recently where it dead ended in a barely lit underground unused loading dock area that seemed like it would be a very good set for the another Saw movie.

There's a double left turn on my way home from work that used to give blinking yellow arrows, which would eventually turn double green. There are usually large gaps in oncoming traffic so it made sense. Sometime in the last two weeks it has stopped giving blinking yellow arrows and just stays double red arrows, even when straight ahead traffic has green. It goes double green arrows after an eternity.

I'm considering just starting to ignore the double red arrows, because there's no reason for me to sit there while there are huge gaps in oncoming traffic. Stupid TXDOT and our tax dollars at work, messing with something that was working fine.

So for more clarification. Name a law you expect people to disobey that you take advantage of while driving, and name one that you know people disobey that hinders you.

Of course we could all say left lane bandits...but let's think outside that lane (box).

For me it would people turning right onto a 4 lane road.

When turning right behind a group of slow folks, they almost always turn into the far lane. I can easily turn into the near lane and pass most of the slow moving traffic. I do get the occasional finger from someone who turned into the far lane, then shortly tried to merge back right, and gets a short beep of my horn letting them know someone is already there (legally).

When turning left into a group of cars turning right onto that same 4 lane road, it is nearly suicide to turn while someone is turning. The law is on your side, and you both COULD make the turn at the same time, but no way can you trust anybody to stay in their lane anymore. I HATE waiting for a line of right turners to turn left on the same road we could all easily fit on. When I'm alone driving a beater/rental/company car, I will often make this turn while watching the face of the offending right turner, just to see them flinch in horror and slam on the breaks.
Exploit: (? It's late I'm working and I need to analyze more what you have said) but... people driving SLOWLY in the left lane .

"One that hurts:" (? Again, I must read...)
1. Remaining stopped at a stop sign for ridiculously long amounts of time I saw that today in a Walmart parking lot...
2. Deciding that your vehicle is a linebacker and not letting people pass you...
3.. side-by-side on two-lane road with no shoulder...
4. "professional stunt tailgating" which is usually accompanied by the aggressive lane changes of cutting people off I've seen it with inches at nearly triple-digit speeds....

It seems very few people in Texas know that it's legal to make a right on red unless there's a sign prohibiting it. I actually cash in on this some mornings if I see it soon enough, I make a right turn behind the shopping center at the corner and drive behind the stores to enter the road I want, while he's holding traffic back by sitting through the red, I have clear road to pull out onto. Thanks, ignorant dude / chick!
Legal to make the right on red after a full stop. Most folks use the right on red as excuse for turning without a stop like it is a yield sign.

When folks do a u-turn or left turn where there's a sign that very clearly states no U-turn or left-turn. It's a common occurrence by me and keeps the police preoccupied since a lot of these u/left turners do it on a very busy feeder road with little or no room behind them for the 50+mph traffic to clea.

So, a yellow light means proceed with caution and anticipate light change not panic stop to it.. ok Thank you.

That will be all.

The right hand shoulder of the road is NOT a right turn lane . That solid white line should be a clue , but then again they don't care .
Then they should either make the light a no turn on red or not have paved the shoulder wide enough to accommodate a whole vehicle.

Back