RMI+WW+Distilled Water+Coolant in performance application?

Status
Not open for further replies.
New engine's going in my Fox body Mustang. I've upgraded the cooling system with a thicker aluminum radiator, high flow water pump, and high flow thermostat.

I thought I was just going to run a 30% coolant/70% distilled water and 1 bottle of WW mix, but after reading this bulletin board, I am all confused.

Now I'm thinking about running 20% coolant/80% distilled water, 1 bottle of WW and a top off of RMI-25. Seems like a lot of chemicals to mix together. I was thinking about using the diesel WW instead of the regular stuff to avoid the precipitate I've read about.

Reason I am thinking about all this, and the coolant/water ratio, is that this car is a weekend street/autocross/open track car, and runs a water to oil cooler, so the best I can do for heat transfer the better IMO.

I had a Toyota MR2 Spyder that I turbocharged and used a pocket logger to monitor each change I did to the car. One thing I changed was the addition of water wetter to the factory 50:50 coolant mix. I monitored real time coolant temps back to back same day down the same roads and speeds. Guess what water wetter did? nothing. Exact same temps. I only use WW now for my motorcycle because you cant use coolant on the track. I believe the only benefit is some corrosion protection and lubrication. I would stay away from it if you are running any coolant.

I ran that sme ratio once 20% coolant and 80% water. I also used the WW and RMI-25. That ratio did seem to flow quicker and kept the head temp down. My pinging decreased but the fluid was to thin for my water pump and started leaking. When I went back to a 40% coolant and no WW but with the RMI-25, all seem normal. I like the RMI-25 better than the WW.

Does the RMI-25 have anti-corrosion and lubricating properties? Does it reduce suface tension like the WW?

I found a site batterystuff.com and they recommended RMI and WW together in the radiator, but I think they meant the diesel version WW.

Redline recommended 15-20% coolant with the regular WW. Funny you mentioned the water pump leak. I know a road racer that started getting a leaky pump after he ran strictly water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back