RL 5w-30 or 5w-40 for low mileage 5.3 Gurus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
GM 5.3
8000 miles on engine
Midwest temp variations (Cold winters/Hot summers)
Some heavy towing during summer

I am a Redline Fan but I would like your opinions for my next oil change. Stay with 5w-30 or change to
5w-40?

Pros-Cons?

Thanks, Scott

quote:

Originally posted by Night Owl:
GM 5.3
8000 miles on engine
Midwest temp variations (Cold winters/Hot summers)
Some heavy towing during summer

I am a Redline Fan but I would like your opinions for my next oil change. Stay with 5w-30 or change to
5w-40?

Pros-Cons?

Thanks, Scott

Does Redline even make a 5w-40?

With that said though, between the two grades you mentioned, considering it is Redline, the 5w-30 would be a good bet.

For even a little more protection, have you considered 10w-30?

Being that the 5.3 is an LS1 derivative, my concern would be if I would provide any better protection with the 5w-40. Also since midwest weathers can dip below zero, would a 10w-30 be a pro or a con and would there be any benefit of a 10w-30 over 5w-30 in a Redline oil product?

Redline 5w or 10w/30 would work well.Redline holds up well . Wouldn't hurt to try 5w/40 but the lighter grades may be all that is needed.

[ August 16, 2003, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: Steve S ]

quote:

Does Redline even make a 5w-40?

Yes, and there is a recent UOA posted on it which looks very good!

It's 15.1cst at 100c, 94cst at 40c, with a VI of 170 and an HTHS of 4.6.

The UOA shows the quality of the engine, not necessarily the quality of the oil. You could put the best oil in a lousy engine and it would show a poor UOA.

One test is not conclusive enough to form an opinion.

People are using the UOA to determine oil quality when they are designed to show engine conditions.

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:
The UOA shows the quality of the engine, not necessarily the quality of the oil. You could put the best oil in a lousy engine and it would show a poor UOA.
One test is not conclusive enough to form an opinion.
People are using the UOA to determine oil quality when they are designed to show engine conditions.

I understand where you are coming from. But it can tell the quality of the oil (albeit more than one UOA are necessary). For instance-I don't think anyone here will argue that Mobil 1 10W-30 is not one of the best oils -base only on UOA's. And of course if you use several different oils in a sinble you can make some determination on the quality of the oil-by the metals and by the TBN/OX etc.

But getting back to the problem at hand: I would have no problem going with the Redline or maybe better the Delvac 1. On the otherhand I like Mobil 1 10W-30 it works well in my vehicles down to -17F. If you go with the 10W-30 Mobil 1 you can thicken it up a bit in summer with the 15W-50. And not to slight our Amsoil friends/sponsors -their oils in these catagories would more than fit the bill. Hopefully they can speak for their product
smile.gif

I have a '00 5.3 Silverado. Mobil 1 performs well, and two UOAs indicate it maintains its viscosity of a 30W. Redline would probably outperform Mobil 1.

The preferred oil for the 5.3 engine is 5-30 as indicated in your owner's manual. It seems like a thin oil, but my experience is it protects well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back