RL 5w-30 or 5w-40 for low mileage 5.3 Gurus?

GM 5.3 8000 miles on engine Midwest temp variations (Cold winters/Hot summers) Some heavy towing during summer I am a Redline Fan but I would like your opinions for my next oil change. Stay with 5w-30 or change to 5w-40? Pros-Cons? Thanks, Scott

quote:
Originally posted by Night Owl: GM 5.3 8000 miles on engine Midwest temp variations (Cold winters/Hot summers) Some heavy towing during summer I am a Redline Fan but I would like your opinions for my next oil change. Stay with 5w-30 or change to 5w-40? Pros-Cons? Thanks, Scott
Does Redline even make a 5w-40? With that said though, between the two grades you mentioned, considering it is Redline, the 5w-30 would be a good bet. For even a little more protection, have you considered 10w-30?

Night Owl

Being that the 5.3 is an LS1 derivative, my concern would be if I would provide any better protection with the 5w-40. Also since midwest weathers can dip below zero, would a 10w-30 be a pro or a con and would there be any benefit of a 10w-30 over 5w-30 in a Redline oil product?

Redline 5w or 10w/30 would work well.Redline holds up well . Wouldn't hurt to try 5w/40 but the lighter grades may be all that is needed. [ August 16, 2003, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: Steve S ]

Patman

Staff member
quote:
Does Redline even make a 5w-40?
Yes, and there is a recent UOA posted on it which looks very good! It's 15.1cst at 100c, 94cst at 40c, with a VI of 170 and an HTHS of 4.6.

The UOA shows the quality of the engine, not necessarily the quality of the oil. You could put the best oil in a lousy engine and it would show a poor UOA. One test is not conclusive enough to form an opinion. People are using the UOA to determine oil quality when they are designed to show engine conditions.

Al

quote:
Originally posted by Mike: The UOA shows the quality of the engine, not necessarily the quality of the oil. You could put the best oil in a lousy engine and it would show a poor UOA. One test is not conclusive enough to form an opinion. People are using the UOA to determine oil quality when they are designed to show engine conditions.
I understand where you are coming from. But it can tell the quality of the oil (albeit more than one UOA are necessary). For instance-I don't think anyone here will argue that Mobil 1 10W-30 is not one of the best oils -base only on UOA's. And of course if you use several different oils in a sinble you can make some determination on the quality of the oil-by the metals and by the TBN/OX etc. But getting back to the problem at hand: I would have no problem going with the Redline or maybe better the Delvac 1. On the otherhand I like Mobil 1 10W-30 it works well in my vehicles down to -17F. If you go with the 10W-30 Mobil 1 you can thicken it up a bit in summer with the 15W-50. And not to slight our Amsoil friends/sponsors -their oils in these catagories would more than fit the bill. Hopefully they can speak for their product [Smile]

I have a '00 5.3 Silverado. Mobil 1 performs well, and two UOAs indicate it maintains its viscosity of a 30W. Redline would probably outperform Mobil 1. The preferred oil for the 5.3 engine is 5-30 as indicated in your owner's manual. It seems like a thin oil, but my experience is it protects well.