Risks of introducing rattles and squeaks with dashboard replacement?

Without going into too many details now, I was wondering what the consensus is on the risks of replacing a dashboard in a modern car -- namely are you risking introduction of problems like rattles and squeaks.

Anecdotal evidence always seems to scream "you'll get lots of rattles!" but it's hard to find any hard evidence of this. I don't really understand why you'd create problems if you reassembled things correctly and replaced broken clips. Even new cars sometimes have rattles and squeaks that need to be adjusted with tape or whatever.

I replaced the bulbs that burned out in the driver's cluster in a car once. Had to take the dash apart a little to get at the cluster. When taking it apart there was some cushioning that hadn't gone on properly that had been done at the factory. No issues afterwards.

You could have that fear of any repair job.

Without going into too many details now, I was wondering what the consensus is on the risks of replacing a dashboard in a modern car -- namely are you risking introduction of problems like rattles and squeaks.

Anecdotal evidence always seems to scream "you'll get lots of rattles!" but it's hard to find any hard evidence of this. I don't really understand why you'd create problems if you reassembled things correctly and replaced broken clips. Even new cars sometimes have rattles and squeaks that need to be adjusted with tape or whatever.

In the end,all you can do is take your time and assemble the dash,wiring,misc.clips etc carefully the way it was. I've been through this before,and things worked out fine.

Subscribed. I am curious about this as well. FCA just introduced a fix for the weak A/C on the 2019+ Ram DT trucks. The fix requires removing the entire dash to replace the HVAC box. I am considering it, but have concerns.

Last edited:
You could have that fear of any repair job.

Agree, but the more parts you have to remove, the higher the risk. An instrument cluster isn't too bad, but the entire dashboard has multiple vents, speakers, HVAC controls, stereo controls + display, etc.

The biggest issue is the professionalism of the approach. If the technician is rushed, not able to see the value of organized collection of clips and fasteners, or worse is asked to assemble something that someone else took apart, then the results will have high probability of being bad.

Dash work doesn't usually require much in the way of expensive tools, it does require attention to detail.

It's not really that uncommon of a procedure on many vehicles, but there's typically quite a bit of hardware and many steps. It's definitely something I'd rather have someone who is careful and detailed doing.

My aunt has a 2017 Spark and the dash was replaced under a recall. I think it was something to do with crash safety. Anyway, it was the whole main panel and there have been no issues since. It has probably been a couple years and there are no rattles. It's worth noting though that the guy who did the recall had probably done at least five and maybe more of those exact same dashes at that point.

On the other hand, I have seen a heater core replacement on an old Corsica turn into a disaster because the plastic had turned brittle and nothing wanted to come apart after 20 years. I definitely think it's better to have to do this job early on than after the materials have become more fragile, unless of course you're doing it with the intention of replacing fragile materials.

If something is broken behind the dash and you want it fixed, sometimes you just have to. I wouldn't pull it out just to dust or have a look though.

When we put a dash in my dads truck it squeaked but not nearly as bad as it was beforehand. It also looks a lot better because it’s not busted out like the other was.

I’d be worried about it. I needed either my windshield pulled or dash pulled in my Mazda to fix a strip of cushioned tape that kept peeling up between dash and glass. I asked them to pull the windshield to make the repair, if they wouldn’t, I said I’d just ignore the problem.

that being said, I worked in a jeep dealer shop for quite awhile (10 years) and the 3 or so guys who did the HVAC mode and control doors and actuators, evaporators, every day in and out, they were awesome at it and had it down to a science. They knew were every single screw went, didn’t break clips, and were super efficient at it.

The problem is YOU don’t know how competent any of these mechanics are or how familiar they are with this job on your particular car. It’s kind of a roll of the dice.

Subscribed. I am curious about this as well. FCA just introduced a fix for the weak A/C on the 2019+ Ram DT trucks. The fix requires removing the entire dash to replace the HVAC box. I am considering it, but have concerns.

Did you know about the weak A/C before buying ?

If done correctly I would not worry .

you’re under warranty for quite awhile, stick it out as long as you can and give the techs time to get good at them (although they may already be if the model is the same as previous ones, Chrysler, unless somethings changed, goes through quite a few evaporators and blend door so they may be seasoned at pulling your dash already).

I’ve done it 2 cars ago. Take your time, get a lot of silicone grease, friction tape, and replacement adhesive foam. I think a lot of that notion is people who have dash removed for warranty or recall work and the mechanic rushes because the job doesn’t pay a lot of hours or they don’t replace the foam or they’re just lazy on account of it being a tedious pain in the ass.

This will be performed by a dealer, for the record. No way am I tackling something like this myself. Even if I have to give the tech an extra $100 to pad his hours and ensure he takes his time, I'd rather they do it.

My wife had an early '93 Grand Cherokee for many years. About 15 years in the A/C evaporator developed a Freon leak. Apparently it was a pattern failure with these. The dealer wanted $1800 to pull the dash and replace it. An indy wanted $1200. Those $ seemed crazy to me and at my age, I wasn't the least interested in being upside down under there to do the job myself. At that point we decided to retire the Jeep as a summer driver.

Replacement or removal and a reinstall?

I’ve had dashes out and back in with no rattles. I would think you’d have a good chance of little issues on a new vehicle. Less plastics, cushions and foams to age and such.

Replacement or removal and a reinstall?

I’ve had dashes out and back in with no rattles. I would think you’d have a good chance of little issues on a new vehicle. Less plastics, cushions and foams to age and such.

Replacement.

Every new or used vehicle I have purchased over the past 30 years (and there have been a lot) have developed some sort of dash rattle/creak/squeak. I don't think there is any way to avoid it. There were two vehicles where it was severe enough to attempt to have the dealer fix it. One attempt was successful, the other never got off the ground because the dealer flat-out admitted that they couldn't guarantee not creating more trying to just fix the one.

That being said, if you take your time and use all new clips/fasteners/hardware and judicious use of felt tape on potential rub points it can be done and reduce the number of rattles and squeaks.

Back