Ripoff shipping

What kind of delivery time ?
2 pounds to Sweden from stamps.com software.

20210721_095546.jpg

I get the bad feeling that things are heading that way though…. with options becoming more limited- more money is there to be made…..

I get pissy when a part can fit in an envelope and they wack ya over the head for $12 shipping.
For good or bad, oftentimes companies stick with (1) shipping company in order to get the best possible rates. The more you ship, the higher your discount. I have tiered discounts with UPS, for example.

"I get pissy when a part can fit in an envelope and they wack ya over the head for $12 shipping."

Yup. That they don't have / use padded envelopes but use a box instead.....at our expense. Galling

My problem with Rock Auto is not with the shipping cost. At least you can see that upfront. The issue with Rock' is what you get when opening the box.
In this case, the exorbitant shipping costs are ridiculous and i would have moved on as well, but at least the choice is there.

Shipping to Canada is an issue. We frequently see "free shipping within continental USA" but then a large charge to ship to Canada. Considering I live within 10 miles of the US border (over water admittedly) the shipping costs often seem exorbitant. I can see there being a charge (because there would be an extra cost) but it seems we pay the entire cost. But then some companies won't ship to Canada at all.

A few people rent a post box in the US. Not practical in my case as a mail pickup would involve an expensive ferry trip.

Shipping to Canada is an issue.
As you know, it becomes an export shipment and there's simply more (paper)work involved. It's not necessarily the part supplier charging more either, the shipping companies charge more. There can also be fixed-amount import fees imposed by customs and neither the vendor nor shipping company are going to eat those charges. Canada charges $15 for "Duty/tax forwarding surcharge", for example.

My small business used to ship international but I quit, too much hassle and too many claims losses. Despite being in the US, our slowest delivery times were often Canada. never did figure that one out. Europe was usually pretty fast relatively speaking.

canadian customs stinks!! my friend a former small ducati dealer noted things set backed up in customs while customers are badmouthing him!!!

My problem with Rock Auto is with ordering multiple parts for a job like brake pad, rotors, wipers etc in one order. It seems that whatever I order comes from different warehouse locations and you get charged a separate shipping charge. It is reasonable if your order all comes from one warehouse.

canadian customs stinks!! my friend a former small ducati dealer noted things set backed up in customs while customers are badmouthing him!!!
I know what you mean. I had a small purchase coming from the US ($10 value maybe). It didn't arrive for months so I contacted the seller, who promptly sent me a replacement. A few days later the original box arrived. Who knows where it had been all that time.

There's an opportunity for someone in Canada to buy popular items from the source and ship them from within Canada. A few people already do that but often with rip-off pricing. For example I was looking at rolling bases for large plants. Three of them (absolutely identical) in the US were about the same price as one in Canada. So I ordered them from the US of course.

My problem with Rock Auto is with ordering multiple parts for a job like brake pad, rotors, wipers etc in one order. It seems that whatever I order comes from different warehouse locations and you get charged a separate shipping charge. It is reasonable if your order all comes from one warehouse.
If the parts I need from RA don't come from the same warehouse, I shop elsewhere. The only time I'll pay for shipping from more than one location is if I can't get a better deal somewhere else. That is a very rare occasion, and as a result RA lost most of my business. Having said that it appears they don't care. ;)

If the parts I need from RA don't come from the same warehouse, I shop elsewhere. The only time I'll pay for shipping from more than one location is if I can't get a better deal somewhere else. That is a very rare occasion, and as a result RA lost most of my business. Having said that it appears they don't care. ;)
That has been my approach as well. Its been a few years since I have ordered.

Back