RIP Sydney Poitier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was listening to our local nostalgia radio station earlier this week, and the host read out a list of over-90 still-living celebrities, including Sidney Poitier. Sad to hear just a day or so later that he'd passed away.

The only movie I've seen him in is "In The Heat Of The Night", which I considered excellent - one of the few pretty much as good as the book.

Was listening to our local nostalgia radio station earlier this week, and the host read out a list of over-90 still-living celebrities, including Sidney Poitier. Sad to hear just a day or so later that he'd passed away.

The only movie I've seen him in is "In The Heat Of The Night", which I considered excellent - one of the few pretty much as good as the book.
I have even seen him in several American western movies from the mid 1960s to late 70s. That is a kind of an old hobby I used to enjoy. Reading a book first if possible and then see a movie version of same. One of the ones I did that with that was amazing was The Old Man and The Sea by E. Hemingway with Spencer Tracy. The book of course blew the movie away but that is still one very good old classic hollywood film they did a great job with.

I have even seen him in several American western movies from the mid 1960s to late 70s. That is a kind of an old hobby I used to enjoy. Reading a book first if possible and then see a movie version of same. One of the ones I did that with that was amazing was The Old Man and The Sea by E. Hemingway with Spencer Tracy. The book of course blew the movie away but that is still one very good old classic hollywood film they did a great job with.
I should check that out.

Another one I really liked was "To Kill A Mockingbird" - thought both book and movie were top-notch.

Speaking of old Westerns, after watching "Shane", I read the short novel (or longish short story), which was also very good.

Disappointing movie adaptations of good books? Where to begin ... ?

Mr. Poitier was a transformational man. He advanced our dialogue on race and civil rights at a critical point in our history.

Last edited:
I should check that out.

Another one I really liked was "To Kill A Mockingbird" - thought both book and movie were top-notch.

Speaking of old Westerns, after watching "Shane", I read the short novel (or longish short story), which was also very good.

Disappointing movie adaptations of good books? Where to begin ... ?
Never seen or read Mockingbird. I think once again the media spoiled it for me. As long as I can recall they been praising it and acting like eveything else takes a back seat to it. I am a Greg Peck fan so I am sure to enjoy. Will put that on my list. I saw a Bogart film not long ago that I had to look for in book form. Key Largo is a very good story and movie as well.

Never seen or read Mockingbird. I think once again the media spoiled it for me. As long as I can recall they been praising it and acting like eveything else takes a back seat to it. I am a Greg Peck fan so I am sure to enjoy. Will put that on my list. I saw a Bogart film not long ago that I had to look for in book form. Key Largo is a very good story and movie as well.
I get it - I too am turned off stuff that gets overly praised, figuring it's going to be The Emperor's New Clothes, but in this case both the book and the movie are pretty deserving. And yes, Gregory Peck plays a fine Atticus Finch.

My wife and I were talking about Mr Poitier earlier today - she highly recommended "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner", which I've never seen.
Very good film. I won't spoil it for you. Its based on a subject almost undeard of back when it was made. Think its time period of the mid to late 1960s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back