RIP St. Louis Rams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Owners have approved the Rams move to LA.

As a NFL (Giants) fan, I do not support this. I believe the Rams were viable in St. Louis and the stadium being only 25 years old still had plenty of life left in it. 4 years ago I tried to get tickets to a Rams game and the only way I could get my hands on some tickets was through Ticket Exchange (which I refused to pay the over inflated prices plus the handling fee).

Some of you might like the move, but I do not. The NFL stands to collect $500 million from the Rams for relocating. Easy money for the league.

I think cities need to stop caving in to NFL owners' demand for a new stadium. These facilities can easily top $1 billion today for a facility that will be around for 25 or so years before the owners demand another new facility to be heavily subsidized at taxpayer expense.

If the teams are making money why don't they build their own stadiums. I think it's because a stadium is a loosing proposition but politicians can still sell them to taxpayers. After all that's what taxpayers are for.

In our area we're going to lose the Chargers. If the Chargers could win a game every now and then there might be an incentive to keep them but the price is a bit rich to consider keeping them here.

In the end it does not matter where the team are for most fans. The traffic jams, price of tickets, parking and food makes watching the game at home a better deal.

Unfortunately, that's the issue with stadiums, and you should know first hand what's going on in Regina here. There's no doubt there is a need for a new stadium, but the funding issue is always the [censored] issue. At least a CFL team can claim to be the homeless cousin of an NFL team.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If the teams are making money why don't they build their own stadiums. I think it's because a stadium is a loosing proposition but politicians can still sell them to taxpayers. After all that's what taxpayers are for.

In our area we're going to lose the Chargers. If the Chargers could win a game every now and then there might be an incentive to keep them but the price is a bit rich to consider keeping them here.

In the end it does not matter where the team are for most fans. The traffic jams, price of tickets, parking and food makes watching the game at home a better deal.

Agree.

For a European. That whole moving sports teams from one city to another is just Strange. I Mean it is just wrong.

What about local fans? How can a team celebrate results With it's fans and home town. And then later just mine to another place With new fans?

Originally Posted By: shDK
For a European. That whole moving sports teams from one city to another is just Strange. I Mean it is just wrong.

What about local fans? How can a team celebrate results With it's fans and home town. And then later just mine to another place With new fans?

The NFL hasn't been about the fans in a long time.

I sorta remember when they moved to St. Louis. They used to have the Cardinals before that. The rams were in la before moving to st. louis.

Teams move around every so often. It is all in what tax breaks the city will give them to come there. It is just like any other business. The nfl would outsource to china if the money was good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jhellwig
I sorta remember when they moved to St. Louis. They used to have the Cardinals before that. The rams were in la before moving to st. louis.

Teams move around every so often. It is all in what tax breaks the city will give them to come there. It is just like any other business. The nfl would outsource to china if the money was good.

It's that old saying, if she'll cheat to be with you, she'll cheat on you. The Cleveland/LA/StL/LA Rams will move to the best deal today.

We allowed this to happen. I say we get rid of their tax exempt status, which apparently they are now, and let THEM build wherever they want. Let them buy the land and build the stadium. It’s a business so let them take the risk. If they don’t do good, oh well, it’s their loss and not the taxpayers. I’m just tired of the taxpayers being hit with these new stadiums.

And yes, I live in San Diego and seeing the Chargers go will be hard, but I don’t own the team so the ownership can do whatever they want.

I'm certain the owners sit in open-mouthed amazement when they digest the repeated episodes of how stupid people (their fan base and others) are.

There are 8 home games per season plus a very few addition play-off games. How anyone can utter the words "job creation" is beyond me.

Another well of fanatically stupid people is to be found in NY/NJ. Here the Giants and Jets share a new stadium.
BOZO fool Jets fans repeatedly cry for "our own stadium". How detached from the real world they are.
How wasteful and unnecessary a second stadium would be.

Large, stupid, greedy children they are. They should ask "The Elf on the Shelf" to build one them. Kira

What I don't get is usually when teams move, they move to a city that's already had a team at one time. Why do they continue going back to the same cities over and over? LA has had the Rams and the Raiders and couldn't keep either team. Why not give a city that's never had a team a chance?

As a Lions fan, I may not object to them moving across the country if it meant winning a Super Bowl
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: powayroger
We allowed this to happen. I say we get rid of their tax exempt status, which apparently they are now, and let THEM build wherever they want. Let them buy the land and build the stadium. It’s a business so let them take the risk. If they don’t do good, oh well, it’s their loss and not the taxpayers. I’m just tired of the taxpayers being hit with these new stadiums.

And yes, I live in San Diego and seeing the Chargers go will be hard, but I don’t own the team so the ownership can do whatever they want.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
As a Lions fan, I may not object to them moving across the country if it meant winning a Super Bowl
lol.gif

As an ex-Bengals fan, I WOULDN'T object to them moving anywhere else if it would mean NOT PAYING FOR THEIR [CENSORED] STADIUM! Corporate welfare at it's worst.

Pretty strong rumor out there that the LA Raiders might end up in San Antonio. Makes sense, the Austin - San Antonio corridor has had insane growth going on for the last 20 years that continues on today. The big obstacle for the move might be Cowboys owner Jerry Jones blocking it.

But here's an opportunity for the Jacksonville Jaguars to move a lot closer to their owner, who lives in Champaign, IL.

Heartbreak today, first football game I have ever seen was the Rams vs Titans in Super Bowl.

I'm also glad though, as I would not want to pay for the stadium.

Originally Posted By: powayroger

The tax-exemption ended earlier in 2015, and even then it didn't mean much since most the money was split up between the teams in the league and they paid the taxes.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nfl-to-end-tax-exempt-status-1430241845

I believe the Rams owner and a few others are paying for the Inglewood Stadium with their own money. The NFL has offered $100 million to both the Chargers and Raiders to try and work out a deal in their respective towns. If not Chargers have 1 year to decide to move to LA.

I still think there are teams out there that have a great fan base and who would not move for anything. These teams respect their local fans enough to not move and whose image is tied to the city they are in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back