RIP Prince Philip

And this begins the slow but inevitable process of a new group of people taking over the royal family and its duties. I sincerely hope that when and if Charles becomes king, he can generate the respect that his mother and father earned over the decades.

And this begins the slow but inevitable process of a new group of people taking over the royal family and its duties. I sincerely hope that when and if Charles becomes king, he can generate the respect that his mother and father earned over the decades.
I doubt it . Polls show that he isn't as popular as some of the other family members .

Charles kind of soiled his own nest with the Princess Diana and the (not going to put in the word that comes to mind here) he has now incident. That and the current troubles with Prince Harry and Megan and general lack of popularity dooms them.

Rod

RIP

Prince Charles had a lot of bad publicity (Diana's death, many believe it is an inside job) but you have to remember the press won't treat you the same when you are a prince vs when you are a king. I think things will be different when / if he becomes the King one day. The younger brother prince / younger sister princess typically have more scandals because they don't have all the people to keep him or her in check and the carrot of the crown isn't there as a motivation to behave. If you think Prince Charles (or Prince Harry) look bad then I don't know what to say about Prince Andrew, but the Queen is still there.

I heard a lot of people want the succession go straight from the Queen to Prince William as he is very popular.

Prince Phillip was a class act. The rest of the males in the Royal Family, not so much. Prince William has kept his nose clean at least. Maybe Prince Harry is OK but he's not partaking in the usual duties. Even in Canada we barely put up with them, and have a Governor General, (at least until the last one just stepped down. Ex-astronauts don't make good Governor Generals). Its a huge tourist draw for England and good for them. It also provides fodder for the news industry. I wonder what Harry is up to today. :p

Last edited:
Someone said in the other thread that's now locked that it (royalty) is all nonsense. Well yes, it certainly is an outmoded concept in modern times. At the same time, blood lines have been of great importance throughout history, whether justifiable or not is debatable. That some countries maintain costly traditions more or less along with modern forms of government is something that each country needs to decide for or against themselves, I believe. The Queen and Prince Philip have been ever-present during my and my parents' lifetime. I'll sort of miss his hijinks. He was, by the way, a pretty accomplished cook, and loved cooking for his family at Balmoral Castle. the royal holiday retreat in Scotland. Awfully posh place, Balmoral Castle.

I have the utmost respect for the Queen and the late Prince as world leaders and more importantly as individuals.

The late Prince was comically blunt, but was also truly a respectful and admirable model of class and duty despite not having any “official” duties. In spite of the latter, he accomplished a lot.

Prince a Phillip was a great and admirable person who lived a full and productive life. My sincerest condolences to his 74-year life partner and the rest of the Royal family in mourning his death, but also comfort in the memories of his very near 100 years on earth and all that he did and stood for.

Prince Phillip was a class act. The rest of the males in the Royal Family, not so much. Prince William has kept his nose clean at least. Maybe Prince Harry is OK but he's not partaking in the usual duties. Even in Canada we barely put up with them, and have a Governor General, (at least until the last one just stepped down. Ex-astronauts don't make good Governor Generals). Its a huge tourist draw for England and good for them. It also provides fodder for the news industry. I wonder what Harry is up to today. :p
He was prone to stepping in it via a variety of gaffe's and scandals (especially when he was newly married to the Queen) over the years but nobody is perfect. He was a bedrock of support for the Queen so I don't expect her to make it through the year.

but you have to remember the press won't treat you the same when you are a prince vs when you are a king. I think things will be different when / if he becomes the King one day.
Even in today's society, and as can be seen with Queen Elizabeth, she's effectively off-limits to media-driven nonsense. I think it will remain that way with King Charles one day. People like Harry, William, etc would have been protected and off-limits as well in the past but for whatever reason this is no longer the case. Harry, for example, just wanted privacy. It's not like he was a scandalous, heathen either.

I heard a lot of people want the succession go straight from the Queen to Prince William as he is very popular.
Never gonna happen. For a period of time, it seemed like Charles kinda hinted that he might abdicate the throne but I don't think that's the case any longer. He'll enjoy being king for a while.

He was prone to stepping in it via a variety of gaffe's and scandals (especially when he was newly married to the Queen) over the years but nobody is perfect. He was a bedrock of support for the Queen so I don't expect her to make it through the year.

We are all human and especially when you gets old you tend to loosen up how we behaves in public. To be fair he may have said something that is rude to others as a "royal" but he was probably just trying to be a relatable guy in your neighborhood. I won't get mad at him for that.

We are all human and especially when you gets old you tend to loosen up how we behaves in public. To be fair he may have said something that is rude to others as a "royal" but he was probably just trying to be a relatable guy in your neighborhood. I won't get mad at him for that.
For sure. Living in a fishbowl has its disadvantages. I wouldn't wish that burden on anyone. In any case the Prince had a positive impact on a lot of things such as conservation before it became a thing and an interest in the well being of the common man.

The funeral is on right now. His coffin was hauled in what looks like a British Leyland military truck. He probably requested that.

26DD2680-0973-4CA1-B063-D2D34090A2CC.jpeg

If baffles me that monarchy still exists. Or any monarchy, for that matter. Or why the people in the US celebrate our former overlords so much.

With all due respect to the deceased, I do not understand the infatuation with the Royal Family.

Back