RIP My 96 Saturn SL2 - Totalled due to Hail Damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
The storms of March 31st and April 1 proved to be the death knell of my trusty ol' Saturn. The repair costs are more than the car is worth. Sad thing is, the engine and trans run like new. Thi car is up to 39+MPG on the last 2 tankfulls.

We had an incredible array of hail, tornadoes and flooding rains today, like I've never seen, ever. For pix on those, see this topic: http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=007794;p=1#000012

The Bell Tolls for Thee:

Link to 1st image - 1.7MB

Link to Second image - 1.7MB

Surprisingly, no glass damage.

Thought about it, but the difference between keeping it and have them take it is about $500. Doubt it's worth keeping for that difference.

TNS,

That MUST have been some hailstorm; it beat down the surface of the earth on the other side of the street...I think that house may even tip over!!!!
shocked.gif

TNS,
I'm very sorry to hear about, and see, your hail damage. I feel bad for you. I live in East TN and my son goes to college in West TN (Jackson). It has certainly been a bad week across the state, with about 12 deaths in each storm this week alone!

Just last night, 07-Apr, we endured strong storms & hail, although it was relatively mild at my house.

pscholte,
I have read many of your posts and have learned a lot from you! I also think that you are very funny. In this case, however, your attempt at humor is misplaced. The man's car was totalled for crying our loud!

My apologies if I'm missing something in those pictures. But, it doesn't look that bad to me. I mean, sure, it's ugly... but I wouldn't trash a car for that.

Sorry to hear (and see) about the damage.

If it was me, like others I'd find a way to get the car back and continue with the charge to 1 million miles.

Plus, you will not worry about the next hail
storm.. (sorry)

The salvage title would not concern me.

Take care and STAY SAFE !
cheers.gif

Bill

Looks very drivable. Maybe it's worse than the pictures show.

The hail pictures look like small hail. Is this what caused the dents? Maybe golfball sizers caused that?

quote:

Originally posted by SWS:
pscholte,
I have read many of your posts and have learned a lot from you! I also think that you are very funny. In this case, however, your attempt at humor is misplaced. The man's car was totalled for crying our loud!

Fair enough, SWS...my apologies TNS. I would be sick about my car sustaining major hail damage. Sorry it happened to yours TNS.

No offense taken at all. Most of the hail was golf-ball sized. But some was softball size and others were oval chunks. THOSE chunks, by far, were the loudest, and did the most damage. Thankfully we didn't see a storm full of those as they were the exception and not the norm.

What did tornadoes sound like before there were locomotive trains??

quote:

What did tornadoes sound like before there were locomotive trains??

I think its the pressure change that causes it.

Glad to hear your safe!
cheers.gif

I've seen them on TV, never in person.. Hope I never have to.

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

If only the trunk, roof and hood had been made from plastic!
tongue.gif

frown.gif

If I were able to embed a Taps midi into this post, I'd do it.

Heh... I actually bought a Stanza some time back which was hail-damaged just like that - obviously I got a good deal on it. Owned it for 5 years.

I am with Pablo on this one. Is their any more damage that would prevent the car from being drivin safely? If not, why not just ride it till it dies. Sounds kind of silly to give it up just for a few dents. Just use it as a beater.

So are you going to change your screen name since you're getting rid of the Saturn?

ToyotaNKia
ToyotaNPinto
ToyotaNFerrari

Choose your next car carefully, your name is at stake.

Well, I already sold the Toyota for the Saturn Vue. I guess it should be SaturnNSaturn.

Of course, if I buy a Toyota, then I can rest easy at night once again.
wink.gif

That's not bad, still drivable and not that noticable. Many cars here are in much worse condition. What about looking on ebay/craigslist for a used hood and trunk?

on the bright side, you won the BITOG march giveaway
cheers.gif
(I was 2nd by the way and your only 40 miles from me) Not only that, I visited Spring hill last Weds (two days before the tornadoes came) to take a tour at the Saturn plant where they build the ion and vue. Sad to hear about your car. I would keep it as a beater type vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back