RIP Michael Collins

Explorer & discovers just like Marco Polo, Columbus, de Soto, Cortez, Vasco de Gama,, Raleigh, Balboa, Hudson, Lewis & Clark.

1619648639683.jpg

Amazing man! It's incredible to look over the old pictures of him, he looked so incredibly young during the Apollo years. Yet he died a very old man at 90.

I've been told that his book "Carrying the Fire" is fantastic and that I absolutely must read it.

I do wish that I had been able to see a Saturn V launch. My wife was there at the cape for the Apollo 11 launch on July 16th, 1969, it was her 10th birthday! She was a nerd then and is one now. Well, we both are...

I sincerely hope a new generation of "moon men" exist, and that we have the guts to do it again, bigger, bolder, and farther. That would be the greatest way to honor the memory of Michael Collins and his companions. It's my opinion that the moon program and landings were mankind's finest achievement. Nothing else comes close.

Last edited:
I believe he said something to the effect that his worst fear wasn't dying in space, but having to fly back to the Terrafirma without Neil and Edwin...

An impactful part of my youth watching those three on our console TV. Just as I‘m sure so many other BITOG members did. Especially after living through the crap year that was 1968.

Back