RIP Hugh Downs

A sad day indeed. He and specifically Walter Cronkite were some of the reasons I went into getting my journalism degree.

Sad to hear this. He was very good.

Today's journalists are part of a political agenda and objectivity is out the window, for the most part. I'd bet the approval rating for journalists is approaching that of congress these days. Maybe lower.

RIP Mr. Downs.

A loss when he left the airwaves and a bigger loss now that he's left this earth.

He hosted a quiet game show called, "Concentration" on NBC.

That show's set and game board was simple enough to be attractively cheap to update.

You matched revealed clues to reveal parts of a a rebus. A rebus is a phrase suggested by a picture.

A lot of people liked it then. Maybe people would like it now.

A Mark Goodson-Bill Toddman Production

He co-hosted opera broadcasts too.

Originally Posted by Kira

That show's set and game board was simple enough to be attractively cheap to update.

You matched revealed clues to reveal parts of a a rebus. A rebus is a phrase suggested by a picture.

I remember that show and liked it!

He seemed like a guy with a lot of class.

Originally Posted by IndyFan

That was a great game show. One actually had to think to win. Don't see much of that these days.

Hugh Downs had a great voice for television.

I remember the Walter Cronkite reporting on the Vietnam war , talking to my friends over there ,, there was no truth in reporting back then.

Sad but not that sad, he was 99 which is awesome unless you wanted to make 100. He was a great journalist and I think he might be one of my first exposure to the news along with Harry Reasoner. Great men...

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by IndyFan

That was a great game show. One actually had to think to win. Don't see much of that these days.

Hugh Downs had a great voice for television.

i don't recall the old version, but do recall the 80s version of that show.

Originally Posted by CT8
I remember the Walter Cronkite reporting on the Vietnam war , talking to my friends over there ,, there was no truth in reporting back then.

True.

Met him once, well our then 4 year old daughter did. We were waiting outside of a great seafood restaurant in Mystic CT. There were only a few waiting and our daughter (who had developed her gift of gab by then) was walking the porch to look at the water when an older couple also waiting started talking to her. The man was very good with her, seemed like he enjoyed children, and they talked for a few minutes about what she did in Mystic, she talked about the fish at the local aquarium, etc. My Wife recognized him as Mr. Downs before I did and we exchanged pleasantries. He and his wife seemed very nice.

Sad... RIP Sir, another loss and we are left with less.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
Sad... RIP Sir, another loss and we are left with less.

I dunno about that.
There's an abundance of YouTube vloggers who'd love to fill that position.
smirk.gif

Back