RIP Earl Scruggs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Lester Flatt still with us? One of my all time favorite moments was seeing Bill Monroe at The Ryman Auditorium with Ricky Skaggs and The Fairfield Four just before Monroe quit performing.
Ah, the early days...

Originally Posted By: 9296D21B14
Is Lester Flatt still with us? One of my all time favorite moments was seeing Bill Monroe at The Ryman Auditorium with Ricky Skaggs and The Fairfield Four just before Monroe quit performing.
Ah, the early days...

Flatt died in 1979.

I saw Scruggs about 5 yr ago in Atlanta, just to hear Foggy Mountain Breakdown, live
smile.gif

RIP to both.

Ah...the Orange Blossom Special. I grew up watching the Beverly Hillbillies and I think Flatt & Scruggs were guests on the show a time or two.

Both are missed...RIP in peace Gents!

Just dug out the posters. Think it was 1994, Martha White's Bluegrass at The Ryman every Tuesday from June till August. Also went in 1996. Monroe was called out for an encore at the end by Skaggs without being on the bill. Chills galore. That and seeing Ry Cooder on Maple Street in New Orleans circa 1978 is more than I can ask. Also, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's 'Will The Circle Be Unbroken' Vol #1. Doc Watson's 'Black Mountain Rag.' I could go on...

Current favorite is YouTube version of Britain's Got Talent with Only Boys Aloud Welsh choir singing Calon Lan. Bluegrass, Scotland, Wales, I think the circle may not be broken.

Just think of all those from Beverly Hillbillies that have passed on thru the years,only Max Baer Jr and Donna Douglas being the survivors today.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Just think of all those from Beverly Hillbillies that have passed on thru the years,only Max Baer Jr and Donna Douglas being the survivors today.

Miss Jane was my favorite in the Beverly Hillbillies.

I caught the Earl Scruggs Revue (which had his son as a band member) way back in the mid seventies, in Central Park of all places!!

They opened for Emmylou (Harris, for those who don't know her by one name) and the second iteration of The Hot Band (with Ricky Skaggs on eight string).

One of THE BEST shows I've ever attended (they all were on stage together at the end)!!!

Yes, RIP indeed Earl.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
Originally Posted By: NHGUY

Miss Jane was my favorite in the Beverly Hillbillies.

I remember hearing that Nancy Kulp and Buddy Ebsen had a falling out over politics and didn't speak until the end of Nancy's life.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back