RIP Don Cornelius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don Cornelius started Soul Train in 1971 in Chicago before it went nationwide..He was 75 years old..Soul Train is the longest running syndicated dance show..He died from a self inflicted gunshot..RIP Don!

Looks like Corvette Owner brought up an interesting point. Ironically, I was just on CNN's website where they interviewed Gladys Knight today. She said that Don was in fact sick and had lost quite a bit of weight. Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if this had been a factor to today's tragedy. Poor guy. He contributed a lot to the history of American music and culture. I remember growing up to that kind of music in the 70s and it was fun. Thanks Don and we wish you love, peace and souuuullll!

Originally Posted By: Al
Hard to feel sorry for a woman beater.

Good point. Even for all the good he did (as described on my previous post), his domestic violence episodes are definitely amongst the things I will not condone. In fact, I get upset very easily when women are beaten, raped and abused (physically or mentally).

I was dating a girl years ago and another couple we knew were both friends of ours. When my girlfriend told me how he was abusing his girlfriend, I just about promised to her that I would clean his clock the next time he did it. Well, that opportunity never came. Good thing as I could have ended up in a jail cell.

I only know of Don Cornelius from the Beastie Boys song Flute Loop - "more soul on this train than Don Cornelius..."
21.gif

As I understand it he had brain surgery 10 years or so ago and said he never felt the same afterward. After the surgery he got divorced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back