RIP Charley Pride.

Way back in 1984 (I think) Charley bought a radio station in Beaumont TX. He celebrated "KAYD" with a daytime free concert in Winnie TX. I was a college student at Lamar U. in Beaumont, and a booth was set up hiring young men as stage hands -- for a whopping $25 an hour. That was crazy good money in '84.

About eight of us was hired, and we worked laying out very heavy sound cables and speakers. The "roadie" work started early that Saturday morning. After several hours, we were very hot, tired, and hungry. We asked the guy in charge if we could leave and get a bite to eat. He said, not necessary, lets step into Charley bus. Charley had arranged for us a ton of fried chicken, rolls, and Cokes. Wow did we eat well. We sat in the cold A/C and stuffed ourselves silly. After the concert, we had to pack it all back in. We made more in that day than I could have made in a week.

It was a small gesture, really, but I will always remember Charleys hospitality to some random college kids. You will be missed, CP.

I met his grandson a couple years ago on a Jeep rally in southern Indiana. We had a stop for beer and a restroom and they had a sound system set up. A young African American man got up and sang a few country tunes and he was ****ed good! They then introduced him as Charley Pride's grandson! I can't remember his name, but he was a super nice guy and humble, too. I told him I really enjoyed his singing and was a big fan of his granddad and that I was actually listening to "Mississippi Cotton Pickin' Delta Town" just before we pulled in! I told him to give my best to Charley Pride and he said he'd do just that. I sure hope he did. My Dad was a big fan, too. I hope he gets to meet him in heaven. I know he'd love that.

Back