RIP Capt. Dale "Snort" Snodgrass

Oh, that sucks. He was quite the hot shot pilot. And to die in a crash of a STOL single engine turboprop on takeoff, ugh.

I suppose those YouTube recommendations earlier today weren't a coincidence. RIP and condolences to those who knew him.

Video and audio released from accident. Immediate pitch up and stall upon rotation. Unfortunately it appears as if the gust lock wasn't removed but unsure as of yet. Hard to watch knowing such an experienced aviator was lost.

Even on a bad day I can't see a guy of his caliber not knowing the gust locks are set. That is old hat for him to cycle his controls before a take off.
It had to be mechanical or medical.

I happened across this video yesterday that explains this lock feature and how a pilot cannot operate the aircraft when this is used.

Wow ... so he didn't check the full travel of the stick before take-off ... seems like a basic thing to do for an experienced pilot without thinking about it.

Wow ... so he didn't check the full travel of the stick before take-off ... seems like a basic thing to do for an experienced pilot without thinking about it.

Even the most experienced pilots make mistakes, it happens unfortunately.

Back