Right to repair law(s) debate

twouvakind

Site Donor 2024
At least a couple of states have chimed in , I'm currently in a state that has been running ads for and against the right to wrench, diagnose and the coveted access to telematics. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Hmm I haven't seen any ads running for it, but I think it's an important issue. When a manufacturer decides they can determine whether or not you have options to repair something, that can only be bad for the customer. Competition in a market is a good thing.

Any consumer should have the right to repair a product that they own. Companies that state otherwise do so in order to maximize their revenue. If telemetrics are a concern then the OEM should write the code in a way to ensure it is not a concern. Anything else is an OEM releasing a flawed product.

They have been trying this for years in MA and will keep trying until it passes than it will never come up for a vote again. It is against small shops, no personal info is seen or collected just info on the vehicle.
The scumbags even word the bill to trick the voter into voting for it while thinking they were voting against it.

Right to repair did pass in MA, in 2012 by 86%. The issue now is telematics. The manufacturers are trying to scare people with ads falsely proclaiming that your personal data is to be made available. The proposed law clearly states "mechanical data."

Manufacturers are crooks.

John Deere claims that the unintended consequences of incorrectly changing their very complex software might create dangerous outcomes, i.e., a giant combine running amuck and consuming pedestrians. I just don't know what to think. I'm all for diy repair, but the corporations have a lot invested also. I wish there some kind of middle ground, whatever that might be.

I can see both sides. The machine control software is complex, and should not be mucked with by a consumer...BUT there is no reason not to share trouble codes and diagnostic information to the owner so they can make a repair if it is hardware based. While I totally understand "locking the code" from allowing end users to change parameters, I hate that we don't have the access to read the data and make repair decisions on our own.

My #1 biggest complaint from owning my Alfa Romeo Stelvio is that it was 100% impossible to reset the oil life monitor. It still boggles my mind how this is possible.

Right to repair did pass in MA, in 2012 by 86%. The issue now is telematics. The manufacturers are trying to scare people with ads falsely proclaiming that your personal data is to be made available. The proposed law clearly states "mechanical data."

Yes it did, I should have said they revisit this. Its terrible the lies they spin on this. I was thinking about NH but the place is getting flooded with Massholes.

TV ads attacking the initiative have connected the data security concerns as allowing easier stalking and concerns of sexual predators.[4] Critics have cited these concerns as "[veering] into exaggeration and fear mongering".[5]

This is all it is, someone I would bet is being paid off which is normal in this hell hole.

The measure would require cars sold in Massachusetts after 2022 to have standardized open access telematic systems. Independent repair shops and mechanics would, with owner permission, automatically have access to the vehicle's data to use it for diagnostics and car repair. Currently this data may only be used by manufacturer repair shops unless permission is granted.

The problem with legislation like this is that it establishes a precedent. Next, new car warranties won't be honored unless the vehicle has been maintained EXACTLY using the manufacturer's mandates. What is to keep them from voiding your warranty if you do an early oil change?

Legislation like this is a slippery slope.

Scott

Some manufacturer's go out of their way to make maintenance difficult. My Passat's procedure for changing the auto transmission fluid is a good example. Additionally, VW purposely positioned the tranny drain plug so it won't completely empty, making a fluid change incomplete with the pan on. Of course there is no dipstick for the tranny.

You can do whatever you want to your car, burn it in the driveway if you want to. It must be about something more than that. I can see a manufacturer who is bound by warranty to fix the car at their expense, making rules about how it can be fixed outside of their control. That sounds reasonable to me,. It would be OK if the repairing shop takes over in writing the factory warranty. One could ask them if they will do that. It's a strange situation. Not sure what the issue is about.

Some manufacturer's go out of their way to make maintenance difficult. My Passat's procedure for changing the auto transmission fluid is a good example. Additionally, VW purposely positioned the tranny drain plug so it won't completely empty, making a fluid change incomplete with the pan on. Of course there is no dipstick for the tranny.

People are passing off the lack of a dipstick as a cost-cutting measure. Nope. It's a measure to ensure you bring the car in for service. The joke's on them. People are learning to work around it. None of the vehicles in my list have a trans dipstick, but it's they're not going to the dealership for transmission service.

Meanwhile those same manufacturers are the ones mining and selling your data.

John Deere claims that the unintended consequences of incorrectly changing their very complex software might create dangerous outcomes, i.e., a giant combine running amuck and consuming pedestrians. I just don't know what to think. I'm all for diy repair, but the corporations have a lot invested also. I wish there some kind of middle ground, whatever that might be.

Agreed, but stealing/hacking software is completely different than allowing you to repair the vehicle using the software.

Example: My father owns a 2013 Grand Cherokee. At about 150k miles the rear differential lock actuator went out. When this happens it fries the module that runs the actuator, causing a Christmas display of dash lights and warnings (instilling fear in the customer). The actuator and module can be replaced by an independent shop or DIY if you wanted to, but it won't work without being programmed to the vehicle. This can only be done at the dealer, as none of the independent shops in the area even had access to the software, allowing the dealer to basically charge whatever they wanted to program the vehicle. Take it one step further and the idiot dealer actually told my father (who doesn't know much about cars) that the vehicle would be unsafe to drive without this repaired, which is incorrect because all that really happens is that the rear locking differential remains open, which in reality is fine for pavement driving.

As a longtime business applications programmer, I can tell you modifying source code generally has 2 results:
1 - Desired results
2 - Undesired results

Additionally, it is likely that taking a future software update will be rendederd null or very difficult.

Can someone post an article relating to this? Not sure I understand?

Right to repair website. Basically manufactures are trying to make it illegal for you or any independent shop to repair your own vehicles under the false pretenses that a sexual predator or other bad people can 'steal' the data from your car.

This was a big thing with the farmers and John Deere as well as Apple righting against consumer's right-to-repair.

You should absolutely have the right to repair your vehicle. The automotive manufacturers are trying to confuse consumers. As long as you aren't trying to take source code or proprietary software and re-sell it for your personal gain then you should be able to wrench. There has been this argument with John Deere. I'm still not sure why anyone purchases anything from them. It's unfortunate that they are the last American owned and locally manufactured tractor left in tge USA but act like they do.

You should absolutely have the right to repair your vehicle. The automotive manufacturers are trying to confuse consumers. As long as you aren't trying to take source code or proprietary software and re-sell it for your personal gain then you should be able to wrench. There has been this argument with John Deere. I'm still not sure why anyone purchases anything from them. It's unfortunate that they are the last American owned and locally manufactured tractor left in tge USA but act like they do.
Exactly. People don’t even really want to modify the code, they just don’t want the entire system bricked until a dealer/manufacturer plugs on their computer to unbrick it.

Back