Right hand drive Jeep Cherokee

I had a chance to talk to our mail lady today. She has a rust free “Japanese” Jeep Cherokee XJ with just over 100k. Even had the fender blinkers. Supposedly the Japanese can no longer drive their vehicles once they reach 60k? I’ve never heard of this, but thought it was interesting.

She said they sit in a warehouse there, get shipped here, and sit in another warehouse until maintenance can be done before they are sold.

I need to buy one.

That milage limit is a myth. Motortrend has a write-up on this specific topic.
Japanese motors are driven 40,000 miles or less.
There is no Japanese law that requires an engine be removed at 40,000 miles (let’s not forget that Japan goes by kilometers) nor is there a law that forces cars off the roads at that mileage.

It's the Shaken (Shah-ken) inspection that is required at certain intervals and becomes increasingly more expensive the older the vehicle

There is a stringent vehicle inspection in Japan called shaken. Every car must get it every few years. As cars age, passing shaken without pouring money into the vehicle to meet the laws becomes more difficult. For most people eventually it's easier to get a new vehicle than to keep the old one, which is why these gray-market vehicles become available here.

I haven't looked online but I've always heard it was due to emissions and the taxes on older vehicles that after a few years they get way too expensive to maintain and are scrapped out the engines are removed to be sold around the world typically in the 40k-60k mile range.

It's not a mileage thing, it's an age thing...7 years I think. All brake and steering components need replacing, bunch of other stuff, so it's just not economical to keep them on the road....so they are exported to New Zealand. They are usually 7 to 10 years old when we get them, at lower mileage and in far better condition than the same car sold new here. My 2005 Honda Airwave was imported in 2018, my wife's 2007 Honda Stream was imported in 2016. Far more imports are sold every year than new vehicles, it's been the norm here for 35 years.

Japan do have rigid rules for ageing (in their terms, not ours), vehicles...and a lot end up in Oz, moreso New Zealand, and one pacific island changed to driving on the left to enable japanses inports...
Toyota Century V-12 I can get here, post export Japan.

Lots of RHD Jeeps here...

Yes, we had a Grand Cherokee in today...bit of a pain, too many ''driver aids''. A lot of BMW's too....all the stickers under the bonnet are in Japanese.

Back