Ridiculous claim found on internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A guy on a different forum claimed a +34% increase in fuel economy by using Amsoil Dexos oil instead of Mobil’s products in 2 different GM vehicles.

He swears it’s due to reduced friction. I told him it’s ridiculous and he’s delusional. A moderator locked the thread afterwards.

What does the Hive Mind of BITOG and @MolaKule have to say about his claims?

even 3-4% would be a stretch from changing oil from a heavier grade down 2 grades thinner, I don't even think theoretically a 34% fuel economy increase could happen over a generic dexos oil even if you managed to take all frictional losses in the engine down to zero.

A guy on a different forum claimed a +34% increase in fuel economy by using Amsoil Dexos oil instead of Mobil’s products in 2 different GM vehicles.

He swears it’s due to reduced friction. I told him it’s ridiculous and he’s delusional. A moderator locked the thread afterwards.

What is Amsoil Dexos? Amsoil doesn’t have a Dexos licensed product that I’m aware of.

He can came claim what he wants. If the lubricant had zero frictional and pumping losses that would be many multiples of the gain.

I think his math needs to be reviewed and a determination made as to under what conditions his claim was made.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back