Rick_Samsonia

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2000 Elantra with 215k using Castrol HM 10W30, engine in gd condition, use miniscule oil on 3500 mi. Absolutely no leaks so all is well with that car.

I have a much newer car that I have hoarded Mobil 1 Syn 5W20 for back when it could be had for $21/jug. Mistake! I will not be able to use this 5W20 in the newer car for some yrs.

So..would it be another mistake to mix 2 qts Mobil 1 Syn 5W20 with 2 qts Castrol HM 10W30 for my nxt oil change for older car????

The last thing I want is to end up with a leaking/smoking older car that at the moment is doing quite well! My dealer tech says it would be ok to mix the two...but I dunno!

Any opinions are appreciated

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

Is the Elantra specified to use 5W-20? Not sure what you mean when you say "I will not be able to use this 5W20 in the newer car for some yrs."

If the engine is specified to use 5W-20, you could **try** it to see how it performs and if not, you could always try to exchange it for the proper grade. Otherwise, IMHO, I would not mix M1 with Castrol (not sure if the additive packs are the same), if mixing is a necessity I would be more inclined to mix it with Mobil Super.

10W30 is rec in Elantra. I guess I could use the Mobile 1 in the new car but that will be yrs down the road when it finally gone and I am concerned about shelf life. So it 'seems' that by mixing the two that vis would not drop much but actually I am concerned about the two qts of Syn starting leaks and maybe other bad stuff. Basically if I knew mixing the two would cause no harm then I could use up my hoard sooner. thanx for you're reply!

Originally Posted By: trigger46
ARCOgraphite
Yeah there is wisdom in ''if not broken leave it alone''.

That's not how this goes...

"If it ain't broke, fix it until it is!"

Originally Posted By: bigblumer
"If it ain't broke, you're not trying hard enough." -Red Green

Sounds like Colin Chapman with his Loti!

I'd save the M1 . Either you or someone else will use it later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back