Rhino Ramps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plan on doing my oil changes from now on but have a quick question. The Rhino ramps at walmart are the 8000 and 12000 but the 8000 only say 2000 per ramp my GVW on my truck is 5300 pounds so Im guessing I only need the 8000? Thanks for the help.
confused.gif

That would be cutting it too close for my comfort. Remember most of your weight distribution is up front. Though I guess more than normal weight would be transfered to the rear when on ramps since it will be at a slight angle. Still I would get the 12000.

Spend the few extra bucks for the 12,000 lb Rhino ramps. Your safety and well being is worth more than the $10 or so extra bucks for the extra weight capacity. I have the 12,000 lb ramps and use them in confidence with my 3 vehicles, including my F-150 with a GVW of 6,500 lbs. I paid $35 for the 12,000 lb Rhino ramps at Advance Auto recently

Whimsey

A truck so low that it needs ramps? Wow. Oh, back on topic, yeah 12,000 lbs... just to be safe because their strength may deteriorate over time....

I love my rhino ramps! (thanks again Al!) It would be almost impossible to change the oil in my Corvette without them.

I love my rhino ramps! (thanks again Al!) It would be almost impossible to change the oil in my Corvette without them.

Patman -

No problem with the Vette scraping on the ramps? I have an old set of metal ramps and have to use 2x10 extensions to get the 04 Accord up the ramps without removing the lower facia.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

Pay the extra bucks.
offtopic.gif
You're welcome
grin.gif

Reminds me of an old Bell Helmets ad........If you have a $10 head, get a $10 helmet.
grin.gif

Seriously, spend the extra $. I've had my Rhinos for about 12 years (original models with rubber pads in all 4 corners) and they are still getting a workout. I'm sure you'll like yours too.

quote:

Originally posted by RTexasF:

No problem with the Vette scraping on the ramps? I have an old set of metal ramps and have to use 2x10 extensions to get the 04 Accord up the ramps without removing the lower facia.

I got my set of Rhino ramps when I could not use my metal ramps with my son's 94 Camaro due to the under-bumper "stuff." Corvette owners were recommending them.
Not as tall as the old ones, but strong and light. Easy to use and store.

quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:
A truck so low that it needs ramps? Wow. Oh, back on topic, yeah 12,000 lbs... just to be safe because their strength may deteriorate over time....

Jeep,
If you're referring to me, then yes having the truck on ramps makes it a lot easier to work under it. I don't know about you but I'm 6'1" and about 217 lbs, unfortunately a disproportionate amount is in my mid section
rolleyes.gif
. Plus I'm over 50 and my joints "ain't" what they use to be
frown.gif
. When I was 17 and skinny with good joints it was a lot easier to crawl under vehicles
grin.gif

Whimsey

I "think" I saw the 12,000 pounders at Tractor Supply Corp. (TSC) recently for $29. They should be in Illinoise.

Any sort of ramps are a total pain when dealing with a stickshift.

I have a set of Rhino Ramps in my garage that I haven't used in almost 8 years for that reason.

A floor jack with Eastwood's pinch-weld adaptor works great, along with a jackstand..for those few times when I have to jack up a vehicle. (I can change the oil on both of mine without jacking them up).

I really like the Rhinos too, with a truck the fact that these are slightly lower than other options should be a good thing because with a truck on ramps components you are trying to reach can end up a long ways from the ground. My wagon has a base curb weight of 4572 and a GVWR of 58XX and the rhinos hold her up just fine, they are a few years old too.

quote:

Originally posted by RTexasF:

Patman -

The black rubber piece under the nose rubs the ramps a little bit, but only by a slight amount. And that piece gets a lot of abuse anyhow, it rubs the ground much more when going out of most driveways.

quote:

Originally posted by Whimsey:
Jeep,
If you're referring to me, then yes having the truck on ramps makes it a lot easier to work under it. I don't know about you but I'm 6'1" and about 217 lbs, unfortunately a disproportionate amount is in my mid section
rolleyes.gif
. Plus I'm over 50 and my joints "ain't" what they use to be
frown.gif
. When I was 17 and skinny with good joints it was a lot easier to crawl under vehicles
grin.gif

Whimsey

I appologize. I wasn't thinking. My father is 55 and his side is blessed to not have arthritis...(too bad I'm more like my mother than my father) I forget about that. There are sometimes when i'm working on the Jeep that I have to call him in. Hey, age is just a number. That's what I say! In actuallity, I have problems getting under my ZJ because I have Westin Nerf Bars, lowering my ground clearence enough that my 5'8", 200lbs (well... ok, so I have muscle but still, I'm overweight) body has to crawl under the front of the Jeep to get to the oil pan.

quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:

I appologize. I wasn't thinking. My father is 55 and his side is blessed to not have arthritis...(too bad I'm more like my mother than my father) I forget about that. There are sometimes when i'm working on the Jeep that I have to call him in. Hey, age is just a number. That's what I say! In actuallity, I have problems getting under my ZJ because I have Westin Nerf Bars, lowering my ground clearence enough that my 5'8", 200lbs (well... ok, so I have muscle but still, I'm overweight) body has to crawl under the front of the Jeep to get to the oil pan. [/QB]

Don't worry about it. You'll be be there soon enough unfortunately. Glad to hear that your father is doing good in the "joint department". Keeping active is the best advice I can give. Getting old is a bit*h, trust me
rolleyes.gif
. I use to do all sorts of mechanical work myself and enjoy doing it. But between my eyesight and the joint pains I'm limited as to what I can now do
frown.gif

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:

quote:

Any sort of ramps are a total pain when dealing with a stickshift.

I never had an issue...

I found that it requires slipping the clutch more than I'm comfortable with. It probably wouldn't hurt the clutch much, but I found alternative methods that work better (and can be used for tire rotations).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back