Rhino Ramps question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a set of 8000 lb limit Rhino Ramps.
Work well with my Toyota and the Grand Prix I just sold.
I now have an '05 Explorer.
Do I need the 12000 lb ramps or will the 8000 Rhino's be ok with the heavier Explorer?
confused.gif

[ July 29, 2005, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: Colt ]

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
Does your Explorer weigh 8000 lbs or less? If so, you can use the Rhino 8000's. I have the same ones, btw, & I love them.

I thought they'd work well.
Just needed some reassurance before getting underneath the Explorer.
wink.gif

What the heck would the 12000 lb ramps be good for?

quote:

Originally posted by Colt:
....What the heck would the 12000 lb ramps be good for?

Colt,
I'm sorry; I can't resist. The Rhino 12000's would be good for.......ummmmmmm.......vehicles that weigh up to 12000 lbs.
smile.gif
Ohhhhhhhh, I'm here all week, folks.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:

quote:

Originally posted by Colt:
....What the heck would the 12000 lb ramps be good for?

Colt,
I'm sorry; I can't resist. The Rhino 12000's would be good for.......ummmmmmm.......vehicles that weigh up to 12000 lbs.
smile.gif
Ohhhhhhhh, I'm here all week, folks.
grin.gif

lol.gif

Somehow I'd feel more confortable with the 12000's but will stay with the 8000's.
smile.gif

If the ramps are 8000 pounds EACH (jack stands are rated each) and your Exploder weighs 5000 pounds and you only put one wheel on each ramp, I think you might be okay. If you put four wheels on one ramp, would you send us a picture.

quote:

Originally posted by LarryL:
If the ramps are 8000 pounds EACH (jack stands are rated each) and your Exploder weighs 5000 pounds and you only put one wheel on each ramp, I think you might be okay. If you put four wheels on one ramp, would you send us a picture.

tongue.gif
gr_stretch.gif
grin.gif

Colt,

Is your Explorer a 4x4? If so, try putting it in 4-low, push the ramps up against the front tires, & then try to drive up on them.

But, I guess it's a moot point, since you were able to change the oil without the ramps.
smile.gif

What oil & filter did you use?

Call me a wimp, declare I am a wussy, chastise me, ridicule me, call me a yellow-bellied coward but just don't call me "late fer' dinner."

When the critter has climbed the ramps, perched above the firmament, reponding as all things do (except, possibly, anti-particles?) to the relentless tug of gravity, I add a couple jack stands just in case a ramp crumbles, allowing the 2-1/2 ton devices to plummet.

I'm just too darn pretty to be getting squished, causing America's wimmenfolk to sob in anguish as my lovely head and udder parts is ground into mush.

Splat.

grin.gif
Great posts,guys.
grin.gif

Wayne
It's a 4WD.
Didn't think of that.
The ramps flew about 5 ft from the tires!
I went with Penzoil 5w30 and a Motorcraft filter.
I just bought this '05 Explorer with 9500 miles.

I change my oil and filter in my vehicles every Nov and April and use Mobil 1 and a Napa Gold/Wix filter.
So I'll do my Mobil 1 thing in Nov.
Just used the dino oil and Motorcraft to get me there.
wink.gif

"Funny thing was I changed the oil and filter without any ramps at all!
Was enough room to crawl under."
-----------------------------------------------------------

I do that with the wife's Sport Trac as well. It's got a Suredrain on it and can be done while parked at the curb.

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
"Funny thing was I changed the oil and filter without any ramps at all!
Was enough room to crawl under."
-----------------------------------------------------------

I do that with the wife's Sport Trac as well. It's got a Suredrain on it and can be done while parked at the curb.

I just ordered a Fumoto quick drain plug.
Never used a Fram suredrain.
Been using Fumotos for around 15 years.

Well I just changed the oil and filter.
While trying to go up the Rhino Ramps flew out in front of the truck and the rubber pieces came off.
Never had this problem with my cars.
Seems the 12000 lb limit units may be better for SUVs..

Funny thing was I changed the oil and filter without any ramps at all!
Was enough room to crawl under.

I've read that the company Blitz USA will send a set of rubber stops if you ask.
I'll try Monday with a call.

quote:

Originally posted by LarryL:
If the ramps are 8000 pounds EACH (jack stands are rated each)...

I believe the Rhino ramps are rated as four ramps and then they say do not put car up on four ramps. So 2000 pounds each.

I was wondering how jack stands were rated.

Thanks.

I emailed the maker of Rhino Ramps,Blitz USA and told them the ramps shot forward and the rubber stops came off when driving my Explorer up the ramps.
One rubber stop was chewed up and one ramp has plastic scraping around the rubber stop area so I can't get the stop back on.
They said they won't send me the rubber stops.
They will send me a new set of ramps.
Great customer service!
worshippy.gif

They asked for a pic or two of the ramps.
I send them two pics.
They then thanked me and said they'll ship a set of ramps this week.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by FL-400S:
I change all my cars oil without ramps...why do you even need them...especially for a truck?

Because I can't get under the outfit with out them?
confused.gif

At 6 foot 6" and rather close to 300 lbs. I don't think I can slide under my Corolla!
grin.gif

But I use them on all the outfits I change oil (from a PT cruiser to a full size f250) it makes it easier and safer.
worshippy.gif

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

At 6 foot 6" and rather close to 300 lbs. I don't think I can slide under my Corolla!
grin.gif

I don't see how you even fit in that little car at your size.

I am a 6' tall and go 240 and think my crown vic should be a tad roomier.

quote:

I don't see how you even fit in that little car at your size.

The only time I have a problem is getting out. My right leg/knee hits the steering wheel pretty good. Just have to move my leg along with the wheel and wola! I'm out...

I have to say, it's very comfy for me and a blast to drive.
fruit.gif

Plus since I commute 120+ miles a day, getting over 40 mpg I'm sure is not hurting...
grin.gif

Back on topic, The ramps really make changing oil so much easier. I use them everytime!
cool.gif

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back