Rhino Gear RhinoRamp (and RhinoRamp MAX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the regular Rhino Ramps. They fit under lower cars pretty well. Clearance isn't a lot, but it's enough to change oil and tranny fluid.

I had a set of metal ramps, replaced with composite ramps. The new ramps are much better because they offer better traction for tires, and don't leave imprints in blacktop driveway.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I have the regular Rhino Ramps. They fit under lower cars pretty well. Clearance isn't a lot, but it's enough to change oil and tranny fluid.

What do you think of the sturdiness and durability? Do they feel well made or flimsy? How much do you trust getting under your vehicles using the ramps?

I have the rhino max ramps, they work great, i have no fear of using them. You should only use them on concrete or pavement, i would never ever use them on the ground or on gravel.

Are you saying you have used ramps before and looking for new ramps? Or are you saying this is your first time using ramps?

If you already used ramps before, these are just as good as other ramps. You feel safe, safer than a jack or jackstands that might slip out. Be sure to set brakes and chock the rear wheels just in case.
Be aware the advertised weight is the weight limit for the carnot the weight for each ramp.

Last edited:
I have a pair of the 12k pound set. Their alright maybe 10-15 changes on it between my vehicles and even lent them to my younger brother. No cracks anything I really like them paided $43 for my set. Altho my car only sits 6 inch's off the ground the clearance to get under isn't spectacular but enough to remove a bolt/oil filter and to replace the drain plug gasket.

I have 2 older sets of the standard ones.

The only issue I have with them is the little rubber stopper that prevents it from moving wears and the oldest set the bulkhead (for lack of a better term) that supports the rubber stopper actually broke out. That is why I have 2 sets, it is nearly impossible to put a RWD car up on the older set now.

When I say "older" I'm mean probably 20 years...

They are all I use for oil changing, not concerns with getting under them, they are very sturdy...

I just set 2 concrete blocks behind the wheels. If your overly paranoid I guess you could always jack up the back and rest it on jack stands.. Altho that kinda defeats the purpose.

Regular Rhino ramps are terrible with FWD cars on slick cured concrete. They will eject.

Best ramps? Race Ramps. I scrimped and saved. Expensive, but wow they are nice and can get the lowest of cars up.

If you have space and time, a lower cost method are the stacked 2"x12" home made varieties. Very safe and strong. Just heavy and large. And 2"x12" lumber costs.

Also a decent low cost 2 part ramp set is the Magnum 16,000.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
Are you saying you have used ramps before and looking for new ramps? Or are you saying this is your first time using ramps?

I had an old set of metal ramps many years ago but got rid of them as I didn't have the space to keep them. I'm trying to get back into more DIY car maintenance now and so am looking into ramps to help with oil changes, etc.

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Also a decent low cost 2 part ramp set is the Magnum 16,000.

Just looked them up, and I have to say they have a lower rating than than the RhinoRamps. One commenter even said to look to the RhinoRamps rather than the Magnums. Interesting...

http://www.amazon.com/Magnum-1002-01-Automotive-Ramp-System/dp/B007B6BHW6/

I paid $26 at my local Car Quest for mine and they are holding up fine. They store super compact. I wonder if the design changed, all the [censored] reviews are older. That said, I would never use them for a truck or larger car. They main reason I bought them is for the rear wheels. Jack up the car, and slip them in (after the front is on the Race Ramps (I have the two part Race Ramps.))

I've had the regular Rhino Ramps for probably 7 or 8 years. They work great and are very sturdy. I'd say they were a great purchase.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
I've had the regular Rhino Ramps for probably 7 or 8 years. They work great and are very sturdy. I'd say they were a great purchase.

Same here. Mine have always worked fine, no issues with gripping even on a slick garage floor. For some cars I have to put a wooden block in front of the ramps to get a bit more clearance so that the bumper or the black plastic curb shield (for the lack of a better term) doesn't hit them on the way up/down.

I have a set -- I got them off craigslist. They work fine, but one or two inches taller would be ideal. When I installed my new lower control arms, the ramps didn't give me enough height to have my long handle ratchet in there without the handle hitting the garage floor.

I have the original Rhino Ramps. When I asked one of their service people, they listed the average life as five (5) years depending on how they were used. Mine are at 4.5 years of use now. I'm in the market for new ramps and will probably buy the updated version. Service person quoted the recommended temperature range as 20F - 120F.

You may call me a sucker for retiring them "early", but I value my life enough to spend $50 every five years.

I have two sets and use them about 6 times a year. I agree with Merkava 4, a little higher would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back