RGT for >7,500 miles?

Anyone running Rotella Gas Truck for 7,500+ miles? Been looking around at UOAs as my Cruze OLM will take me out that far but it seems like most UOAs are around the 5K mark. The few that I've seen up to 6K or 7K still looked good (to the best of my perhaps limited understanding and reading the commentary) but I just haven't found much beyond that mileage.

Almost every UOA has it being below the 1.0 TBN by the 7-8k mark. I wouldn't run it past 7500 and even then, that would be stretching it. I'm more inclined to change it 5-6k range.

I've run it to about 8.5k on my civic. No issues and TBN ~2.0.
And I've run like 3-4 UOA and its always around 2.0 or greater.

1677531716406.png

Last edited:
I’m running this in my daughter in law’s Mazda CX5 for 8000 miles.

I got a ton of it from AutoZone clearance sale.

Almost every UOA has it being below the 1.0 TBN by the 7-8k mark. I wouldn't run it past 7500 and even then, that would be stretching it. I'm more inclined to change it 5-6k range.
Can you link some of these I searched and found about 50 but almost none over 6500 miles.

the rgt i have is rated sn , if you have di turbo motor , that is something to consider , i am somewhat lery using it in my 1.5t in my malibu

Can you link some of these I searched and found about 50 but almost none over 6500 miles.
here's some with 7k+:

the rgt i have is rated sn , if you have di turbo motor , that is something to consider , i am somewhat lery using it in my 1.5t in my malibu
Good call out - my Cruze (2013) is the 1.8, not the 1.4 with turbo.

Interesting that you say that. I ran RGT to 6K and TBN was at 2.4.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/2006-toyota-highlander-hybrid-pp-0w20-5145-mi.365163/
The RGT UOA is the one on the right side (done earlier). I did two other UOAs with other oils (one at 5200 mi, the other at 6000 mi) and both also had low TBNs.

Hm, maybe I'm misremembering. I'll try to search more.
I am considering not using it in the ram hemi It usually gets 5-8k miles in that. 7qt sump though.
PITA to change oil.. worst vehicle I've ever done.

If its on ramps.. you cant reach the oil fill.. and I'm 6'2"
the drain plug drains directly into the swaybar.. so you get it going over the top.. hitting the top and splashing
hitting the side and going all over
hitting the bottom and shooting up the other side all over.

Its the built to serve so big skidplates.
the oil filter is above a skidplate above the axle
by the steering.. goes all over even with plastic bag trick.

Might be worth it to go buy some m1 ep and take it out to 5-10% OLM.

Last change i flubbed the oil filter got rained on.. and used half a roll of shop towels.
and ruined my junk shirt :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Either way I'd rather something that isnt under 2 TBN at 6k miles.

Last edited:
Wow, that sounds like a great candidate for a pump to take it out the dipstick. I'd PM Jeff Keryk here, he has mentioned doing it that way. And then a filter that can go for 2 OCIs.

I am considering not using it in the ram hemi It usually gets 5-8k miles in that. 7qt sump though.
PITA to change oil.. worst vehicle I've ever done.

If its on ramps.. you cant reach the oil fill.. and I'm 6'2"
the drain plug drains directly into the swaybar.. so you get it going over the top.. hitting the top and splashing
hitting the side and going all over
hitting the bottom and shooting up the other side all over.

Its the built to serve so big skidplates.
the oil filter is above a skidplate above the axle
by the steering.. goes all over even with plastic bag trick.

Might be worth it to go buy some m1 ep and take it out to 5-10% OLM.

Last change i flubbed the oil filter got rained on.. and used half a roll of shop towels.
and ruined my junk shirt :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Either way I'd rather something that isnt under 2 TBN at 6k miles.

Yeah I was hoping to go 8-10K, but no way, not with 2-3 different oils all going between 1.5 and 2.4 by 6K.

At any rate, I'll be changing it at 5K, because of oil consumption. When that is take care of (or greatly reduced--if that day ever comes), then I'll push it out to 6K maybe. I kinda wish the consumption had started before the UOAs, so then I wouldn't have wasted the time & money, but oh well.

2.0-2.4 is a good range with some buffer built in to change it.

Back