RGT 5w-30 vs PP 5w-30 Euro

I am just trying to understand some of the differences in Euro spec oils vs some of the regular synthetic 5w-30 oils

for example, Is there really a big difference between the Penzoil Euro L and lets say rotella gas truck 5w-30 synthetic oil.

what would be the down side or negative effect to running a 5w-30 dexos 2 oil in a non turbo v6 porsche caynenne? I can see where maybe a turbo V8 would be more demanding on oil but is it really that important for a non turbo v6? I know it specs a c30

BTW- I am using castrol Euro now and plan to continue. Just really wondering how much of a difference there is

I am just trying to understand some of the differences in Euro spec oils vs some of the regular synthetic 5w-30 oils

for example, Is there really a big difference between the Penzoil Euro L and lets say rotella gas truck 5w-30 synthetic oil.

what would be the down side or negative effect to running a 5w-30 dexos 2 oil in a non turbo v6 porsche caynenne? I can see where maybe a turbo V8 would be more demanding on oil but is it really that important for a non turbo v6? I know it specs a c30

BTW- I am using castrol Euro now and plan to continue. Just really wondering how much of a difference there is
Ditto

I'll don my flame suit and give this one a try.

The generalized response is the European spec oil requirements are typically more stringent than the API specs that folks typically try to compare.

Now, the question of how a person would quantify those differences is somewhat of a fool's errand because the specs are not written with comparison across standards in mind.

Then throw in asking internet bulletin board members (mostly enthusiasts amd rank amateurs) their opinions and it's like asking how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. Everybody has an opinion but there's really no readily available way for the folks previously mentioned to arrive at a solid quantifiable answer. Those in industry may be able to do it but that sort of comparative analysis just isn't part of this ecosystem.

As for your question to the downside of running a Dexos 2 5w-30 in a Porsche that specs something else, I'd question why you would run anything but the OEM spec in a vehicle like that. The Porsche A40 spec is very stringent (I'm assuming that's what your vehicle requires). Just use what they call for and move on from this one.

Last edited:
I'd question why you would run anything but the OEM spec in a vehicle like that.

The OP said: "BTW- I am using castrol Euro now and plan to continue. Just really wondering how much of a difference there is"

The OP said: "BTW- I am using castrol Euro now and plan to continue. Just really wondering how much of a difference there is"
Understood.
Read my post again. I was talking theoretically. I was not working under the assumption that OP was actually using a Dexos 2 oil.

If you'd like to split hairs I guess I could update my statement to read:
I'd question why a person would run anything but the OEM spec in a vehicle like that.

Cheers!

The difference is ACEA vs API/Ilsac.

The Euro manufacturers fine tune an existing ACEA spec. For example A40 is based on A3/B3 and C30 is based on C3.

API 30 grades are typically a fair bit thinner than either of the above ACEA categories.

Sounds to me like a case of subtle oilfuscation but that's the raison d'être of this website. Portmanteaus are fascinomas to me.
Wow, I have what I consider a pretty good vocabulary but I had to look up fascinomas. Nice :)

There are numerous threads about this.
But here it is:
First of all, you are driving German car. That means car designed, engineered by Germans, and they care about driving conditions and culture in South Carolina same as you guys care about driving and culture in Lower Saxony. So, they engineer engines and cars the way their tradition drives trends.
They spec everything for their needs. That means that your V6 is designed, specd. etc. with their roads in mind, including prolonged high speed runs etc. Combine that with very stringent emission requirements, environment requirements etc. in EU, and you end up with oil that should be able to do 120mph for 2hrs and do OCI some 15k miles. Also, it has to stay in grade, and have very limited amounts of deposits, very low oxidation (long OCI) but usually (or before a must) have HTHS above 3.5. You get very sophisticated oil. And it is not only Euro manufacturers. In Europe for example Toyota's (Lexus) with engine like mine in Sienna (or close version) run on these oils.
Europeans took recently different approach, spec. different oils for different markets, mostly driven by difference how emissions are calculated. So in US you have CAFE, where thin oil help to achieve, while in EU equation is different, so heavier oils are OK.
Now, on more practical note, those specifications are more stringent, involving much more than just HTHS, Noack or stay in grade requirements. They have specific engine tests, so if it says Porsche A40, that means oil was tested by Porsche for their applications (and it is very tough test). Regular API or ILSAC GF oils are, well, one size fits all.

I've always assumed that oil spec's are set in place by the engineers for what an engine is capable of at its limits, not for the day that we use the car to drive to the country club. The engineers want to know/be comfortable with an oil that can handle the total power that they've designed in.

I also look at for example, if you're only going to drive your high performance car to church on Sunday, WMSTFS may be OK. However, if you're going to test the limits of your expensive HP import, then you'd better have an oil that will get you home.

Maybe I'm wrong in all of this but it's the point I was shooting for.

Since some sports cars have a different spec for track use, it's obvious the oil spec is not based on the engine capabilities but on the expected use.

Thanks for the insight. Will continue to use the Castrol rated A40 for now

Kind of tempting to use some of my rotella gas truck 5w-30 stash though. Seems like it would be fine. I Have close to 100
QTs

Car is driven really easy

Since some sports cars have a different spec for track use, it's obvious the oil spec is not based on the engine capabilities but on the expected use.
But still....if you compare ACEA vs API/ILSAC....

Our PCMOs resembles more on your HDEOs (higher TBN&HTHS)

Well...we have that too :)

ACEA A3-gasoline part.....B3/B4-diesel part

VW 504/507 (gasoline/diesel) same with 508/509...

Plus all our PCMOs are dual rated ACEA/API... Where API is usually SN/CF....

I've always assumed that oil spec's are set in place by the engineers for what an engine is capable of at its limits, not for the day that we use the car to drive to the country club. The engineers want to know/be comfortable with an oil that can handle the total power that they've designed in.

I also look at for example, if you're only going to drive your high performance car to church on Sunday, WMSTFS may be OK. However, if you're going to test the limits of your expensive HP import, then you'd better have an oil that will get you home.

Maybe I'm wrong in all of this but it's the point I was shooting for.
Driving to country club in Germany might put engine to the limit. It is known problem. BMW actually advised to go with lower viscosity oil in US due to short distance driving etc.

Back