RGT 0W-20, 5000miles, 2020 Toyota Tundra

So not a bad run but doesn't seem like 10K mile oil. My Tundra's life is pretty easy. No towing and almost always enough time to come up to full operating temps. No stop-and-go traffic - mostly in-town driving at 35-45mph with a few stop signs or highway.

Attachments

• Tundra no info.pdf
    55.8 KB · Views: 351
Your TBN is not a one-off; mine does the same at 5K. They have been averaging 2.75 at 5K in my Rubicon. The VOA I ran on RGT showed a starting TBN of 9.6 so it is a fair reduction (though, perhaps not linear). With that said, I dump it at 5K anyway, so it is all good.

Your TBN is not a one-off; mine does the same at 5K. They have been averaging 2.75 at 5K in my Rubicon. The VOA I ran on RGT showed a starting TBN of 9.6 so it is a fair reduction (though, perhaps not linear). With that said, I dump it at 5K anyway, so it is all good.
Yeah...may not be linear but no way this is making it to 10K. The old-school Kendall GT-1 Max I ran in the Rx 350 had a TBN of 4.5 at 5K. I know they changed the formulation but I really like that oil. It may be my go-to for both the RX 350 and Tundra at 10K miles.

Strange. I don’t see how this could make it to 10k mile interval.

Isn’t the factory maintenance reminder set to trigger at 10k in this truck?

Strange. I don’t see how this could make it to 10k mile interval.

Isn’t the factory maintenance reminder set to trigger at 10k in this truck?
Yup. Like I said these were 5000 easy miles too. Between the shearing I’ve seen elsewhere and the depleted TBN it seems like 10k isn’t in the cards RGT. There are a few UOAs on here of Tundras finishing 10k miles well in grade and TBNs around 3.5 with other oils.

I haven’t seen any problems with RGT tb’s on previous UOA’s...there’s a YouTube video of a guy with a Ford Edge going 14,000 miles on it (with no top up) and the oil did great.

But I wouldn’t feel comfortable going 10,000 miles with RGT based off that used oil analysis either.

Low TBN is common with RGT; don't let it concern you. The wear rates on the UOAs with this lube I've seen have not been affected by TBN. 10k miles is actually quite possible, regardless of the heresy it would imply to the panic-prone.

its surely not best to push thin watery oils over 5 thou especially with lots of local driving, an approved 5-30 would be better IMO,BUT if you change vehicles often its the next owners issue!!

its surely not best to push thin watery oils over 5 thou especially with lots of local driving, an approved 5-30 would be better IMO,BUT if you change vehicles often its the next owners issue!!
I see about a 10% reduction in viscosity over 5K miles, but I am mixing 0W-20 and 5W-30 in a 60/40 ratio so my starting viscosity is 9.6 cSt @100°C and after 5K miles it is averaging 8.8 cSt Visc.@100°C.

For comparison, 0W-20 starts at 8.5 cSt @100°C and @PWMDMD's viscosity was 7.7 cSt @100°C which is also about a 10% reduction so it seems to track comparably.

only 15k on the truck? nothing wrong with that report. I agree TBN aint great after 5k. In 0w20, I tend to like Mobil products especially M1 EP 0w20 or for 5-7k cheaper ST/Kirkland.

I've got RGT 5w30 in my Transit's Ecoboost right now with about 6k on it. I was originally planning on changing it at 5k. As long as I don't smell gas on the dipstick I'll keep it in there and may do a UOA to see what it is like, if it makes it to 7k or higher. I already know that Mobil 1 EP 5w30 is in pretty good shape at 10k, so its been fed mostly that over its lifetime.

Isn't the OM OCI 10K? 10K isn't extended drain. Curious why a vehicle with 7+ qts of oil would need a "1990s" OCI.
With a 2.1 TBN, I realize this oil could likely go another 1K to 3K miles, but why do it and run it to its ragged edge? This particular oil isn't standing up to the vehicle's purported OCI. Reasonable oils changed at, say 50% OLM or thereabouts, are cheap insurance as compared to other engine issues brought about by over-extended lubes.

Thankfully, the vehicle owner was wise and ordered an oil report at today's nominal OCI period... around 5K miles. He or she is smart, developing early trends and discovering, with certainty, the capabilities of particular lube products.

Speaking of the threadstarters use of Rotella Gas Truck, I like it and use it regularly myself. But, I would never run it for more than 5K miles in my GM Gen III 5.3L. It wasn't designed for that.

Last edited:
Back