Reviews of F150 2022

Hi, I am looking at picking up a new truck. I have owned a Tacoma in the past, really liked it but interior room with two car seats was not possible, so I had to sell it.
I test drove a new 2022 F150 V6 2.7L ecoboost and really liked it. It was a short test drive however but it was comfortable, engine was responsive and the 10 speed transmission seemed to shift well.

My needs are: mostly city (65%) driving, relatively reasonable on fuel, haul stuff in the bed occasionally however no towing, and it needs to be comfortable for the family and safe.

Anyone on the forum who has a ecoboost or a newever F150 and want to weigh in on whether they would buy it again given the chance?
Thank you

I have a 2018 F150 4x4 XLT with the 2.7EB. (Note: 2018 is the first year of the updated 2.7 design with both port and direct injection)

It's fantastic. Averages 19mpg with a lead foot and 21 with a easy driving. But I never go slow. Tows easily, is a blast in "sport" mode. I don't have a bad word to say about it. That little engine is a powerhouse, sounds good, and is fun to drive. It's also every bit as fast as my 3.5EB (2011) and my V8 powered F150.

If I were to purchase another F150, it would be a 2.7L EB.

I have a 2015 2.7 and I love the engine. It feels way more powerful than it actually has. The mpgs are better than my ,now my sons 2006 Toyota Tacoma with a manual trans and the 2.7 4 cyl engine .

I like my 2021 which is the same newest generation of F150. The 2.7 was my first choice of engine, but I couldn't find one with my preferred options. (I ended up with the 5.0). I can speak to the rest of the truck though.
It's by far the most liveable vehicle I have ever owned. The ergonomics are great. 302A XLT is the only trim with cloth multi-adjustable electric driver and passenger seats. It also has adjustable pedals and tilt telescope steering wheel. The back seat is enormous, most of the time I have no humans back there and leave the seats folded up and a dog bed on the floor. The bed has a fold out step in the tailgate that pops out so geezers like me can get up there easy.
The ride is very pleasant on smooth roads though the solid rear axle does jitter over potholes. Mine has LED reflector headlights and all the tech (adaptive cc, BLS, 360 camera, etc.) which was another reason 302A was the minimum trim level I wanted. Also lane centering is pretty amazing, it will keep you between the lines with occasional input. All of it works great.
Downsides: Of course, maneuverability and parking. The front and rear sensors help a lot in parking though. Handling is ponderous. Also gas mileage, measured only 19 mpg overall for 19,000 miles of mostly commuting but I knew that going in, the 2.7 should be better. Also it has had 4 recalls so far, two of which still have no fix in sight.
Bottom line I think you would like the F150 for your use.

If comfort is the number one goal in a full size truck, the Ram 1500 wins period. The Ram uses rear coil springs and everything else uses leaf springs. Guys are every biased when it comes to trucks. I had a home on 5 acres and test drove almost every new truck. I don't like trucks, never bought one and rented when I needed one. If I was to buy a full-size truck, I'd get an F150 3.5 Ecoboost with the generator option.

Very happy with my 15 5.0 F150 but if I were to do it again I would be choosing the 2.7 Ecoboost. Great trucks long term. Skyactiv raises a relevant point, although subjective. I agree the Ram is comfortable (so is my 15 F150 Lariat) and I really like the interior. Where I diverge is the mechanical reliability of the Ram long term v the F150. Very much an "overall" statement and an opinion.

I think @meep has the 2.7 as I recall.
PM responded:

but I'll add it here for posterity:

Good morning! Sure thing-

I come from a "reliability is important" background with a lot of hondas and toyotas, with things like Jeeps and old beaters more of a hobby, and so I appreciate quality and reliability, while also having some tolerance for minor repairs which can be done myself without needing a dealer or mechanic. Keep that in mind. My first truck was a 2006 Tundra 4dr 2wd. The tundra was super reliable. It was built well and solid. It was a bit noisy, thirsty at the pump, I wasn't sure about it's safety ratings (which made me a little nervous) and while it towed utility trailers very well, it really struggled with our 4000 lb camper over 55 mph. However, the "3/4 size" of the tundra was darn near perfect. I never got tired of driving it for its size.

The 2018 F150 is the 2.7 with 10spd transmission and 4wd. I wanted a green truck with tan leather with heated seats. I wanted extended cab because the 4 door would have a shorter bed than even the tundra, and I really wanted the larger gas tank for towing. I had to give up on the paint and heated seats, because heated seats required leather which required a $10k trim package, and green paint required a $6k trim package above that. So, skipping out on color and heated seats, I walked out the door with all the other stuff (gas tank, 4wd, supercab) for $42k new in an XL STX (trim package) FX4. It had two upgrades - Sync3 and a center console.

It is a very nice truck in most ways. It is quiet, well-sorted, tows very well. I really like the 2.7, especially for tow duty - it makes power down low and doesn't need to rev. The 10 speed is elegant (when it works) and I like it alot. It's a little "shifty" and I drive it in "eco" mode, which keeps it in a higher gear and detunes the throttle pedal a little. The truck has so much power, there is no penalty for daily driving in eco, and it's a more pleasant experience.

I had a bunch of transmission problems. 3-4 shift started becoming a miss, or a bang, or a "what I'm supposed to be in a gear now?" or a drop to neutral and coast to the side of the road. The dealer couldn't figure it out, reflashed it (which IMO made it less fun to drive), and was at a loss. After several fluid changes to experiment, none of that helped, but I got a "feel" for what was happening. I added a 1/10th dose of lubeguard red to oem-spec fluid and all the problems went away in 15 minutes. Transmission has been flawless since.

I lost my air conditioning in the second year of ownership. It pretty much requires you to use recirc mode, the way it is designed. It will blow ICE COLD after the humidity is removed from the air. It cannot cool the cab on fresh mode. My recirc door motor failed, and it's a whole-dashboard off affair to get to it. Warranty covered it. BUT, the ford interior is a plastic affair - and it started squeaking a little at year 1 and gained an additional squeak after that repair. Of the big three, Ford probably has the worst interior, and Dodge probably has the best.

I find the standard XL drivers seat to be quite comfortable, excellent on long trips, no problem. The bottom cushion is long, which bothers my wife some. I like it. However at 4 years old, the padding is collapsing some, and there's now a ridge forming between the buns which pokes up. That's really weird. What's up with that? I don't know. It ain't right. Most days I don't notice it.

Interior is quiet. I really like the quiet interior. That said, road noise has increased and the doors started rattling. I rubbed honda shin-etsu grease into the weatherstripping, which tends to "fill it out" some. It helped. Ford's weatherstripping uses half the material of say, toyota.

And that's where i started noticing - Ford loves plastic. The tundra made everything from metal. Brackets, caps, covers, valve covers, curved body parts - ford likes plastic.

With a cap, daily driving in a gentle, mixed commute returns 20-21 mpg, driven easily. This is with oem wheels. It is sensitive to tires, which I've seen vary 1-1.5 mpg depending. Highway right now is about the same - 20.4. the best I had was on smaller, 18" oem wheels with continental tires - it would approach 22 on the highway (70 mph and not more than 72-73 generally) in that configuration. Mine came with 20" wheels and I've switched back and forth. The 20s cost me ride quality and half an mpg or so, but they gain me stability in pulling out into traffic in a turn with a hole-shot. This is where OCD kicks in. I'll probably waffle back to the 18s when I finish upgrading the shocks.

The oem rear shocks were DONE before 20,000 miles. Towing the trailer may have aided that - but they are known to be poor to start with. I replaced with bilsteins and may be the 2nd person on the internet to have bilsteins wear too fast. At 45k the rear was a pogo stick. I moved to FOX in the rear, and they match the front well, but they are stiffer. if/when I ever do the front, that will be a real time to consider going back to 18" wheels. I think there was a professional review somewhere that said that 18" wheels were a better matched character for the truck. The weight of the 20's is enough that wheel hop starts to influence the chassis and intrude into the driver experience. I would agree. But man, the 20's look good and turn sharp.

best upgrade: $400 hellwig rear sway bar.

my plans? Keep it as long as I can. I don't want to buy anything else before electric. I do have a small sedan which I put half my miles on. If you've not had a fullsize before, I feel silly driving all that vehicle when I simply don't need it. It's a waste. If safety wasn't a concern, I'd be happy to commute in a go-kart. a kart would be more fun! Especially if I've got 4 errands loaded up, I want to drive the little car because the truck is slower and lumbers around.

Sync 3 is GREAT. Love it, no issues. Don't bother with Nav - airplay & android auto are GREAT.

Aluminum body? dents easier. Heavy items dig metal out of the bed. Meh - keep using it. No issues.

2018 headlights were amazingly useless. I butchered mine early on to install internal projectors. Worst job I've done, but the oem headlights were seriously that useless. I hope the new ones were better - TEST THEM YOURSELF.

The 2.7 is known for developing minor coolant leaks on the lines that feed the turbos from the back of the block. Yep. mines got them too, but they haven't become bad enough to do anything about them yet.

There have been more recalls on this truck than any other I've owned. Transmission shift cable, seat back, tailgate latch, and I think one more. The service department at my closest dealer is known to be awful, so I wait until there's enough wrong to take it out of town for the repairs and give them the recalls then.

Driving dynamics - excellent. Probably 2nd place to Dodge. It's our favorite highway vehicle for this reason.

Hope this helps, good luck!

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
If comfort is the number one goal in a full size truck, the Ram 1500 wins period. The Ram uses rear coil springs and everything else uses leaf springs. Guys are every biased when it comes to trucks. I had a home on 5 acres and test drove almost every new truck. I don't like trucks, never bought one and rented when I needed one. If I was to buy a full-size truck, I'd get an F150 3.5 Ecoboost with the generator option.
Yes! There is no question the higher end RAM has it "going on" when it comes to comfort. And like you, despite the fact that I have to drive these things, I'm a sports car guy, and don't have any desire to drive a truck. However, the F150 Lariat seats are more comfortable to me. And since I have to sit in them for 19 hours at a time, that's what I purchase.

Don't know what to think about the AC problems in the post above. I live in FL and all 3 of my F150's have righteous AC. All will cool the truck on "fresh". Even on stupidly hot days.

With regard to the aluminum bed, I put in a bed liner. This solves the dent issues.

I've had no shock issues what so ever, on any of mine. Not sure what to think about that either.

Last edited:
My understanding is the 2.7 is about as good as Ford gets with none of the 3.5 issues. Or so says the Ford tech on TikTok….lol

Yes! There is no question the higher end RAM has it "going on" when it comes to comfort. And like you, despite the fact that I have to drive these things, I'm a sports car guy, and don't have any desire to drive a truck. However, the F150 Lariat seats are more comfortable to me. And since I have to sit in them for 19 hours at a time, that's what I purchase.

Don't know what to think about the AC problems in the post above. I live in FL and all 3 of my F150's have righteous AC. All will cool the truck on "fresh". Even on stupidly hot days.

With regard to the aluminum bed, I put in a bed liner. This solves the dent issues.

I've had no shock issues what so ever, on any of mine. Not sure what to think about that either.

A/C: yeah idk. I've never seen anything like it. I suspect that maybe this one is using a variable orifice that's tuned for max efficiency? After it get the cab dry, it will freeze you out wonderfully. If you don't, anything above 80F in humid climes and it's just tepid and sticky. And, the computer will pretty much move it to recirc in most cases after you take your eye off of it. My impression, based on this one copy, is that it is intentional.

Shocks: beats me. The oem were obviously gone when I pulled them. The bilsteins lost rebound control but compression was still "like new." It was particularly pronounced on a particular road I drive daily, and interstate travel. Became very busy. Aside from the occasional tow, I don't carry more than 4-500 lbs in the bed.

A/C: yeah idk. I've never seen anything like it. I suspect that maybe this one is using a variable orifice that's tuned for max efficiency?
Ford has used variable orifices for decades now. It is possible you have something defective in your system. I think they are 5 ton compressors and have a working BTU rating over 24,000 BTU. My guess, there is moisture in the system. I've never had any issues with AC capacity in any of my F150's.

I have a 2016 F150 with the 2.7. Its been the best F150 I've owned - I'm on my fourth. Currently 6+ years in and 94k on the clock.

Assuming you don't tow heavy, the 2.7 is pretty much everything a truck owner could want. Quick, responsive, capable of delivering good fuel mileage, and for me - reliable. To be clear, no problems towing up to what the truck is rated - but if you are going for gaudy towing numbers look at another engine... I've towed over 5,000 lbs with little drama.

To date, I changed the plugs and and had one warranty item with an oil feed line replaced to a turbo. Several other recalls - seat track bolt, replacement engine block heater wiring, door latches freezing concern (which I have not had). No other warranty issues.

No issues with the aluminum body. To that point, I work at a place where we have hundreds of F150's, 250's, and Chevy and Ram equivalents. The aluminum bodied trucks hold up the same as the other trucks in the fleet. As others have noted, we have bedliners in ALL of them, unless a utility bed gets used.

A/C works fine in our climate - in my truck and the 5 in my group.

Our work trucks are all base V6's (or V8's in the heavier trucks). I'm always happy to get back into the 2.7.

My family prefers taking the F150 on family trips - common refrain on the cab is spacious.

I'd buy another one tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back