Review (and car history?): 2011 Buick Regal CXL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral

Autoblog had some story about how the Buick Regal is the car most often traded or sold after only 1 year of ownership.

I sold my 2011 Regal RL6 after about 18 months because I was moving cross country, and I was able to get an amount that I was very happy with or I would have kept it. I really liked that car but the ATS caught my eye, and I hate to admit it but I think I liked the Regal more than my ATS (which I do really like).

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Thanks for the update.

IIRC, when you initially got it, you were a little uneasy about the the higher RPMs that this engine turned, especially when accelerating. Did you get used to it by now? I guess you must have, or else you would have sold the car.
smile.gif

I personally don't mind the higher rpms, but given the choice, I'd prefer a lower revving engine that could effortlessly accelerate without having to dip into the high rpms. Wife's Q5 is a lot better in that respect than my 530i. Her Q5 will also cruise at 75 mph with rpms still below 2k, while my 530i is around 3k rpm at that speed, but that's mostly because it's manual.

Yes, I'd prefer that low-rev style to the higher-revving 2.4 engine, but that's how the Regal makes its power. I got used to that and the slightly firmer ride (rarely a good thing in my pockmarked, potholed area) pretty quickly. Now and then I use the manu-matic transmission feature, mostly on the highway -- flicking the lever to Manual and downshifting for an extra bit of oomph when passing or on the rare upslope, then shifting back down. Kind of fun, though I need to remind myself to shift back to Auto when I leave the highway.

Update at 2 years:

The Buick Regal remains a pleasure to look at and to drive. Almost no maintenance or repair problems have turned up. The big expenditures have been cosmetic, the hood and roof respray when I got it, and the body shop visit last August -- which only cost me my deductible at the time, but is now coming back to bite me in sensitive places through my insurance. Gas mileage overall, w/ 70% city driving and a lot of A/C use, hovers around 22-23, on 87.

It's at 62K miles this morning, so it's out of warranty. Plans: OC (QSUD 5W-30 and a Wix filter), tire rotation, possible tire repair (I have a slow leak in the LR tire); draw out the old PS fluid and replace; possibly replace air filter (it's been 2 years and nearly 20K miles). Too soon for transmission fluid, which was done at 50K. Maybe brake fluid when the weather begins to warm, say about late February (!).

This is my second Buick, and both have been great cars.

Update at 2.5 years and 66,800 miles: Aside from the strange issue of oil loss after changing to QSUD 5W-30 in January -- 2 quarts in 2000 miles -- and the repair of 2 leaking tires, the Regal rolls on undiminished. Air filter and PS fluid done. I changed back to AC Delco dexos1 oil in May, 2 months early, and am monitoring the oil; no loss at all after 1500 miles and 25% used on the OLM. Switched my car insurance back to AAA and, while it's expensive because, yanno, Loozyana, it's better than the Lizard People. Tires are something I'll probably have to look for soon, but the tread is still respectable. And the car loan is paid off!

I get in the car each morning, looking forward to my drive to work. That says plenty. If you're considering a new(er) car, go drive a Regal. But be warned: You may not want to get back in your old car again!

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
I get in the car each morning, looking forward to my drive to work.

That is the only thing that matters.

Originally Posted By: supton
I prefer to look forward to the drive home from work.

Believe me, I look forward to getting home, but the return commute is slower and more stop-and-go than my morning run.

I looked at a 2012 Regal at CarMax online and the JD Power overall score is 2 out of 5 stars. This is after 90 days of ownership. The reviews are linked to the vehicle that you're looking at on the website. They look nice on the outside along with the interior. So not sure what the issues are.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I looked at a 2012 Regal at CarMax online and the JD Power overall score is 2 out of 5 stars. This is after 90 days of ownership. The reviews are linked to the vehicle that you're looking at on the website. They look nice on the outside along with the interior. So not sure what the issues are.

Neither am I. Both of my Buicks have been terrific cars. On this one, almost nothing cropped up during the warranty period (only that seat heater issue I mentioned earlier in this thread). It's not an Ultra-Reliable Japanese Car (though from what I've read here, even those aren't as ultra-reliable as they once were) -- but then, the Regal is not an appliance either.

Today makes 3 years with the Regal! In 2016 I ran from 61,929 miles to 71,094 miles. Aside from gasoline (avg. mileage about 21-22, w/ 70% city driving and lots of A/C use) and 3 oil changes (January, May *, and November), I've done or had done the following:

Manual, turkey-baster drain and refill of power steering pump

Tire rotations in January and May, and repair of slow leaks in 2 of the original tires

Local safety inspection sticker, called the "brake tag"

Purchase from Tire Rack of 4 new General Altimax RT tires in the same size and aspect after RF tire was cut while driving; installed by my long-time mechanic

And of course, keep the tires aired up to at least 34 lbs., and the weekly wash and spray wax of the body plus shiny-stuff on the tires. January or February are the only months here with halfway decent weather, so I usually do my clay bar and full-scale hand wax at the point to set the car up for the rest of the year. Then every week I use a wax-as-you-dry product to protect the paint, and Quik Detailer whenever I see a bird splotch or other contaminant.

Aside from the relatively low power of the 2.4 engine -- which I have learned to compensate for by using the manumatic transmission to rev as needed -- the Regal has been one superb car, and may be with me for some time to come.

* Because the QSUD I had used in January had lost 2 quarts by late April with no apparent leaks. I topped off with Magnatec and had the oil swapped back to ACDelco in May. Current fill is Valvoline MaxLife.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
3 oil changes in less than 10K miles...

Normally I go 6 months/4500 miles between changes, as the OLM counts down to about 23% in that time, and a 6 month interval is easy for me to remember. So I would have done a change in January and one in July. The QSUD being consumed so fast worried me, and so I chose to change in May after I discovered the issue, and then 6 months after that.

Next year's changes should in be late May and early December.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
3 oil changes in less than 10K miles...

I'm usually around 4 in that time frame. I have to change my oil every 6 months with full synthetic for warranty purposes. It usually ends up being around 2,500 miles.

Yesterday was the 4th anniversary of the purchase of the 2011 Buick Regal CXL, now at 80,600 miles! The gray beast rolls on, and my pleasure in it is undiminished. I still smile as I climb into it, and when I get the chance to drive for an extended period on a smooth road (hard to manage here in The Pesthole), I find myself smiling as well. It does not seem to be losing oil now, 2 months since the November oil change. Yes, it's still underpowered, but I use the shifter now in manual mode to run up the revs, and it's fun.

Things to do: transmission fluid drain and refill, coolant drain and refill; cabin filter; power steering fluid via turkey baster method. Oh, and a claying and waxing before the weather gets hot, say in February. If I have a local shop repaint the front bumper -- it's showing evidence of collisions with stone chips; a repaint plus a clear bra would solve that, I think -- it'll be hard to tell mine from a much newer car.

A dark blue-over-cream Turbo Regal, a 2016, recently came up at a local dealer. I had a look at it, and it would have needed a repaint (just as this one did) to remove certain paint flaws. And since I am at long last seriously planning a condo purchase this year, I decided I didn't need to get into a new car note plus a repaint.

Buicks are truly the unsung bargains in the current car world.

nice followup benzadmiral, and buicks are indeed unsung bargains. i looked long and hard at cpo regals before i chose my cpo passat (another unsung bargain imho) to use as a highway cruiser. what pushed me to the passat was its awesome interior room: im guilty of manspreading as i roll and the regal’s front seat felt a bit tight.

September 2018: It occurred to me I'm overdue for check-in on my own thread. The 2011 Regal CXL sails on after more than 4.5 years, now at 86K+ miles. It is still burning some oil; my regular mechanic seems to think it's not a serious issue, that a lot of the Ecotec engines do that. A $6 bottle of oil every 1000-1500 miles is not going to break me.

Earlier this year I had the accessory/drive belt changed when a squeaking noise cropped up from the engine compartment. I'm glad to have the worry about the belt off my mind, but the sound remains, not connected to the A/C and reappearing after long-ish drives. It sounds like it's coming from the alternator (!?) or near there. No CELs. Off to the shop next week, then.

The gray car is still fun, quiet, and comfortable to drive; few other cars have come onto my radar that I'd consider trading this one for. (It seems that dealers here sell only cars with black interiors -- apparently that's what's wanted by car-buying morons here, in one of the hottest nastiest climates in America. And I don't do dark interiors.)

So each month the car payment remains in the bank, while I drive a car I still enjoy.

January 2019: At 5 years with me, the Regal turned 90,000 miles this morning!

There is still the oil-burning issue that I've written about before. (GM says my VIN is not affected by the TSB/recall they have issued.) The sound I wrote about in Sept. 2018 has been sorted -- it was a tensioner for the drive belt. Otherwise the car is still solid, with no rattles despite the horrible streets I ask it to navigate every day, and quick despite its relatively low hp of 182. As I said a year ago, the front "bumper" (remember when cars had chrome bumpers?) could use a repaint to make the car really look sharp. And I would love to get some chrome wheels, as the silver paint on some of the spokes is fading a little when you look close; but 18" chrome wheels would be pricey and kind of flashy on such a car. 17" would be better -- but then I'd need new tires, and these Generals are only about 2.5 years/22K miles old.

My long-time mechanic called me the other day. I'd mentioned my casual interest in a used Mercedes in the suburbs, and he asked if I were planning to buy it. If so, two of his customers were looking for a nice used car -- and he'd recommended mine.

Yes. I've been tempted by newer, more powerful cars. One day, perhaps, I will have a Mercedes again. But for the moment, as it has for 5 years, the mid-size Buick serves me very well.

I hate to say it, but oil consumption of a quart every 1-1.5k miles is pretty steep on an engine with less than 100k on it.

Usually when those 2.4 Ecotecs start doing that, it means there are serious issues with the engine.

Agree it sounds like a great car, but you might want to look at your engine health a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back