Reuseable filter discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious on a couple of issues. If a filter is designed to "trap" dirt, how do you "untrap" it during cleaning?

They mention that it "increases the field mobility of equipment" and the mechanic "cleans the element with any solvent or aqueous parts washer." Aren't the two mutually exclusive? This service would make the truck less mobile and tie it to a facility that has a parts washer.

Wouldn't the washing fluid get contaminated rather quickly? I think maintenance of the cleaning fluid is understated.

On a related note, I remember seeing an article on technology to clean oil without ANY filter. It used centrifugal force to spin out contaminants, which plastered themselves to the side of the unit. There was no filter media to deal with and filtration was excellent in getting small particles out of the oil. There was no mention of the practical limitations using this design. I can only imagine that parasitic power losses was one of them.

This type of filter is used on Jet aircraft engines. No doubt that they filter better than paper filters. However, These reusable filters cannot be cleaned properly using a parts cleaner vat. The only way to clean them properly is ultrasonic cleaning. This requires that you have two filters on hand to avoid down time. I have no idea where you would have to go to get them cleaned ultrasonically. I think the cost of cleaning would be prohibitive in most cases.

The've been selling these for bikes for a while, but have been too expensive. Sounds good, owners just spray the gauze out with brake or carby cleaner and a compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back