Reuse Mobil 1 EP filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looking for opinions.

I have a few M1EP filters on hand, and one on my car (2008 Sonata) right now. I'll be doing a 3,000-mile OC soon (warranty). Of course the M1EP is good for much more than 3K... I'm not sure how much old oil the M1-104 filter will have in it, but it's pretty small.

Given the cost of M1EPs, how long M1EPs can be used, the old oil that will be left in the filter, and the 3K OC... Should I just keep the same filter on for another OC?

This always becomes an interesting debate; if you search around you will see there are many opinions on this.

For our cars, I run 5K oil changes and change the filter (usually Mobil 1 or Fram Xtended Guard) every 10K. Works for me, but as usual, YMMV.

Personally I would NOT. Once you are out of warranty do whatever you want to do but while you are expecting Hyundai to cover the motor for 100,000 miles do what they ask. Get a few more reasonable priced filters that will do the job and save the M1 filters for later.

Then you'll have the receipts and truthful records *IF* something happens. And the MFG will have nothing to do but fix your engine.

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Personally I would NOT. Once you are out of warranty do whatever you want to do but while you are expecting Hyundai to cover the motor for 100,000 miles do what they ask. Get a few more reasonable priced filters that will do the job and save the M1 filters for later.

Then you'll have the receipts and truthful records *IF* something happens. And the MFG will have nothing to do but fix your engine.

Take care, Bill

I would have to disagree with you Bill......

The M1 filter is 15K high-tier filter....so I think that using the M1 for two more OCI (to approximately 9000K) would be perfectly safe, especially since your adding new fresh oil every 3000 miles.

I would agree that after going through three OCI's, it would be prudent to use some reasonably prices filters (possibly a Purolator Classic) on all future 3000 mile OCI's....and change out those filters at each oil change.

Question for Glum.... Why are you only doing 3000 OCI's. It seems a little obsessive. 3K OCI's went out along time ago. Do you consider your driving 'severe'?.....and what oil are you using?

Last edited:
NO!
Never reuse anything.

In severe service, your filter's life is reduced also. So, if you think that your oil needs to be changed every 3k, then your filter does too.

Use a cheaper filter if you're forced to practice severe service intervals.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

Take care, Bill

I would have to disagree with you Bill......

The M1 filter is 15K high-tier filter....so I think that using the M1 for two more OCI (to approximately 9000K) would be perfectly safe, especially since your adding new fresh oil every 3000 miles.

Hyundai could care less what filter he uses as long as it is spec'd for his vehicle AND HE FOLLOWS THE MANUAL FOR RECOMMENDED OCI for HIS conditions. They will NOT say "oh you used a brand M filter so you are okay" even though you used it for 2 or more OCIs. They WILL take him to task and it will cause him "issues" that he does NOT need to deal with *IF* he has a warranty claim.

One of the reasons people buy new vehicles is a warranty. Hyundai has one of the best and why would you want to even try to mess with it? I sure would not and would NEVER recommend anyone here do anything different that I would. Hyundai is known to be strict on claims so why play?
21.gif

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: hate2work
OP, why the mad face by your name?

Just to stand out. And because I'm always angry.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Why are you only doing 3000 OCI's. It seems a little obsessive. 3K OCI's went out along time ago. Do you consider your driving 'severe'?.....and what oil are you using?

Hyundai calls for 3K/3mo OCs for "severe" service, and I do fall under their definition. I'm a short-tripper. Using SynPower 5W-20, will be switching to SynPower 5W-30 after this next OC.

Thanks for the advice. Amazing as it may be, I had not realized that Hyundai might frown on filter reuse if I made a warranty claim. They'd have no way of proving I didn't change it, but I guess it's better to be able to be honest. My warranty is up at 60K anyway (I'm the 2nd owner and I refused the "extended warranty" extortion fee; I don't get the full 100K).

Originally Posted By: unDummy
In severe service, your filter's life is reduced also. So, if you think that your oil needs to be changed every 3k, then your filter does too.

How is the filter life reduced by short-tripping?

15mpg city driving 3000 miles = 200 gallons fuel wasted
30mpg highway driving 6000 miles = 200 gallons fuel wasted

10000miles/60mph = 167 hours
5000 miles/30mph = 167 hours

Obviously, severe service dumps more crud in the filter. Its not just about the 'oil'.

NO!
Never reuse anything.

X2
thumbsup2.gif

Take care, Bill
NO!
Never reuse anything.

I agree with these guys collectively. Especially since under warranty. Can it be done? Probably. Should you do it? Probably not, at least not right now.

I would use an excellent filter like the M1 again only if a filter magnet was used from the beginning and during the change the filter was drained. Also I wouldnt allow the filter to be used any longer than 1 year. It doesnt take much time to take off the old filter and pour out the old oil. I have used a filter more than once before and it didnt make a bit of difference. Did 2 OCI's on a toyota OEM with dealer bulk and a short OCI on ST dino. Dealer raised the prices by $10 a change and I wasnt about to go in and pay $36 for a dino change so I paid only $7 for my change. Keep in mind this is when ST was only $7.00 a 5qt.

Last edited:
Sorry, it wasn't obvious to me that short tripping increased the rate of particulate matter production. I guess my user ID should be "Dummy"!

C'mon, there is no way that this $11 filter will not work perfectly fine for back to back 3k OCIs in this newer car. What happened to common sense?

It would be completely wasteful to change this filter at 3k, IMO.

I usually err on the side of paranoia, but even if 3K of short tripping equates to 6K of highway, that still doesn't even bring me halfway through the filter's life span.

But I'll probably change it to avoid any possible warranty hassles. Then again, the Hyundai idiots have threatened to void my warranty for using synthetic...

Are you a taxi driver? Tow a lot? What's Hyundai's definition of "sever service"? I don't think short trips always merit "sever service". Excessive idling often does. I guess different manufacturers probably have unique definitions. I've never owned a Hyundai.

^ I'd revisit this before worrying about reusing your filter. If you really have to change every 3/3k, I'd use cheaper filters: P Classic, MC, etc. Auto parts stores will let you exchange filters. I've done it many times.

Short tripping is tough on oil. I've highlighted the "severe" conditions I regularly use this car under. Granted, Hyundai drew this up assuming the use of conventional oil, not synthetic. But I'm bound to it either way.

severe.jpg

Too bad they don't have filter minders for oil filters.

I wonder if you could determine when to change the filter based on an oil pressure gauge? That could be an interesting experiment. Here's how I might proceed with it:
1. Change oil and oil filter
2. Drive car on the highway.
3. After 15-20 minutes (this assumes that oil is up to temp) at a constant 60 mph write down oil pressure #1.
4. Turn around and drive the other direction at 60 mph.
5. Write down oil pressure #2.
6. Average oil pressure #1 and oil pressure #2.
7. At the next oil change without changing the filter repeat steps 2-6 and note the change in oil pressures.

Not sure if oil viscosity would change greatly at different ambient temperatures after the oil temp has reached steady state. How much is too much of a pressure drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back