Retirement location suggestions

The more I think and read this thread, the more determined to move I become. Don't want to sit in the same house and chill until death like my parents and my wife's parents. The idea of the Villages in Florida really appeals to me. Thousands of retirees. Lots of restaurants, bars, and activities to keep us busy and enjoying life.

The Okanagan valley in British Columbia is a favourite retirement area in Canada - mountains, lakes, vineyards, orchards, hot (but not too hot) and sunny summers, short and not very cold winters and very expensive real estate. But when you cross the border into the US there is hardly anyone living there (as of a few years ago anyway). The valley itself is just the same on the US side.

It might pay to look around in that area.

I love hills and having 4 seasons. Ideally, at that point in life I wouldn't need to work. I also love Appalachia. I have my eyes set on central / southern PA. Land values are very low. As long as I could get a plot that has ground water --- a lot of the hilly places simply have no water table -- and set a double wide on it and build a shop I would be happy.

But I think for you , the Carolinas would be a great place to check out. The tech triangle and even Asheville seem to have quite a bit going on. Reasonable cost of living, at least compared to California. Nice climate with very mild winters.

CKN

The more I think and read this thread, the more determined to move I become. Don't want to sit in the same house and chill until death like my parents and my wife's parents. The idea of the Villages in Florida really appeals to me. Thousands of retirees. Lots of restaurants, bars, and activities to keep us busy and enjoying life.
There are places that have 4 seasons with milder winters that are desirable to live. The only issue you have with Florida-is you have crowds if you venture out. You have twenty million people. Yea-it's a big state but when you look at the waterways, marshes, etc., it takes quite a bit of room out. I have spent much time in Florida-it is a nice place.

Here is my situation in retirement
Texas: $217,000 house = property tax / year $5000
N Mexico $250,000 house = property tax / year $1800

N M income tax...$990 / year. People FEAR that “income tax” but you have to have significant income to incur suffering
You are right about neighboring NM. If you look at CA, WA, NY, CO, MA, etc., the houses would not be just 33K apart though. My 250K house located east of Houston placed in some areas across the USA would go for 500K - 800K easy. (2500 ft. brick on an acre lot).

BTW I don't pay anywhere near $5000 in taxes either. I paid $2800 last year, IIRC.

What if you have no reportable income? Your still paying the big tax nut and taxes always go up.
And where in Texas is the incredibly cheap real estate. Certainly not "Hill country" .

I said Hill Country. You don’t have to live in a mansion on the Colorado River to find something reasonably priced.

BeerCan

$50 Site Donor
House listed for 20 minutes. Sold. Next. House listed for 30 minutes. Sold. The market is loosening up......................ahahahahahhaahhahaahahaha
The 2 houses I was driving to TN to look at went under contract during my drive. Listed, got in the car and 5 hours later houses were gone :(

Market is crazy right now in a lot of states.

GON before we settled on TN we seriously considered NM and ruled it out for many of the reasons you did. We also were looking in TX, TN and NC. Once my brother moved to TN my list became much smaller :)

You are right about neighboring NM. If you look at CA, WA, NY, CO, MA, etc., the houses would not be just 33K apart though. My 250K house located east of Houston placed in some areas across the USA would go for 500K - 800K easy. (2500 ft. brick on an acre lot).

BTW I don't pay anywhere near $5000 in taxes either. I paid $2800 last year, IIRC.
One nice thing about Texas (Katy-Houston) I bought my new 3206 sq ft 5 bedroom 3 car garage house for $150,000 in 1999.
Sold it for $217,000 in 2012
Now estimated at $323,000

You won’t loose money on property buying most Texas places.

CKN

One nice thing about Texas (Katy-Houston) I bought my new 3206 sq ft 5 bedroom 3 car garage house for $150,000 in 1999.
Sold it for $217,000 in 2012
Now estimated at $323,000

You won’t loose money on property buying most Texas places.
You won't lose money buying anywhere in the Western United States-if you can afford the price of admission! Bought a house nine years ago just SouthWest of Salt Lake City, $200,000.00 for 2,500 sq. feet (less than 10 years old). Just the wife and I. Just got comps the other day-$434,000.00.

Ws6

If I learned one thing its live where you are happy. If you want to move...do it.

Moved to southeast Florida last year. What I find is that lots and lots of folks are out and about walking, running and biking along the many roads near the ocean just about every day of the year. Not so easy to do in the cold climates during the winter.

I have 18ft ceiling in my livingroom. Costs me $250 during the coldest winter month, but now I have solar panels, and it costs about half. Heat pump with electric furnace.
$250? Oh I’d love $250.

My family room I think is where I’m losing most of my heat, 20 foot ceiling, wide open to an upstairs hall and wide open to a bar room on the level before that hall. It does have two ceiling fans up there.

I don’t have a newer furnace, but it works pretty good. Eight zones. Oil prices are low this year too. Not looking forward to next winter. Lol.

Ws6

$250? Oh I’d love $250.

My family room I think is where I’m losing most of my heat, 20 foot ceiling, wide open to an upstairs hall and wide open to a bar room on the level before that hall. It does have two ceiling fans up there.

I don’t have a newer furnace, but it works pretty good. Eight zones. Oil prices are low this year too. Not looking forward to next winter. Lol.
You probably have a much larger house. 1600sf, here.

Ammolab,

We are not currently searching New Mexico for the following reasons. Note these reasons have not been verified, validated, or accredited, essentially hearsay . They may be erroneous- but until I do the research New Mexico is off the radar.

High crime rate, one of the nations lowest literacy rate, high taxes. It may all be false- but until I do the research New Mexico is off the radar.

Don't all states have this in some areas? I would not judge an entire state like that.