Rethinking oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back when Wal-Mart sold AC filters for less than $3 and Pennzoil for about a buck a quart, the change dino every 3 months like the manual says, sounded like a good idea. Well today they wanted over $8 for a 5 quart jug and I had paid over $5 for an L15436, we are talking almost $15 with tax. I am still reluctant to use the ST oil, and nothing else is that much cheaper than the PZ I have stuck with for 25 years. What is the longest time you would recommend keeping the same synthetic in my out of warranty 02 Cavalier Ecotec 4?

I passed on the PZ for today. I did pick up a ST 3387A, PF 47 equivalent, for science. Cut it open, looks like about 96 sqin compared to the 112 sqin for a PF 47 a few years ago. The element is definitely too big to adapt in place of the PF 2244G element the Ecotec calls for. My outrage at paying 5-8 bucks for nothing but plastic end caps and media is not going away, and the price isn't dropping yet. The ST element also has less area than the smaller PF 2244G. Ideas?

Any costco in your area? They've got Chevron Supreme for $12/case. Just as good as any pennzoil, if not better...

Here's an idea: go to a SAAB dealer (or online) and buy some SAAB 0W-30 full synthetic for under $5/l. Then keep it in 10k miles, do a UOA and take it from there.

Same basic engine in SAAB 9-3SS calls for 16k mile oil change intervals using SAAB 0W-30.

I think 4K oil changes are fine for a good but inexpensive dino like Chevron Supreme or Havoline, both sold for less than a buck and a half at wally world. We have a '03 cavalier and as much as I hate paying over $7 for the 'naked' filter, it's worth it to me for the performance this motor has over the old cavalier motor(we had a '94 and a '97 before this one). It's like night and day. I also like the ease and no-mess factor of changing this filter. I wouldn't try to adapt another filter, this one seems to have certain specific design features.

If you have Checker/Shucks/Kragen in your area, pretty much every Sunday they have coupons in the paper for $.99/quart Chevron Supreme. Upon presenting the coupon, you'll get a rebate offer that drops it down to $.69/quart. I just bought 3 cases in the past 3 weeks because of the unbelievable price.

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
If you have Checker/Shucks/Kragen in your area, pretty much every Sunday they have coupons in the paper for $.99/quart Chevron Supreme. Upon presenting the coupon, you'll get a rebate offer that drops it down to $.69/quart. I just bought 3 cases in the past 3 weeks because of the unbelievable price.

Depends on the area. I have never seen this coupon, (usually it's quakerstate on sale) and Chevron is $1.38 at my local Checker.

-T

I use Havoline 10W-30 in my '02 Cavalier 2200ohv engine and change it every 3500 or so miles. There is never any particles on the magnetic drain plug (except for the during break in period) so I have been thinking about going 4,000 miles or longer myself. BTW, I get the oil at Sam's Club by the case @ $1.10 US per quart. You may want to ask this question at a GM specific site like j-body.org. If you give your location, someone there may be able to tell you a cheap place to get the eco filters in your area.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back