retarded oil prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
My local grocery store has Chevron syntheic for $3.49/quart. Havoline HM oils are $1.99/quart. Regular Havoline? $2.49/quart
shocked.gif
Pennzoil is $2.22/quart for comparison. I can walk about a block away to Advance and get Havoline for $1.69/quart.

This is America, You don't buy there, you have alternatives. "Ain't" this country great
patriot.gif
grin.gif
. Before we had superstores or brand name auto part stores it was in many cases cheaper to buy brand name oil in the grocery store. In most cases that has changed now. But it's still convenient and reasonably priced if you need a quart of oil and the grocery store is the most convenient or more important the only source
wink.gif

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by k1xv:
However, I suspect ketchup and eggs are cheaper at the grocery store than at Advance.
grin.gif

But I still have to go to Advance Auto If I want my eggs fried in Mobil 1 0W-40. I'm watching my cholesterol after all
grin.gif

Whimsey

Actually, you should be frying your eggs in Redline (also available at Advance - at least for the time being). After all, aren't esters natural vegetable oils?

quote:

Originally posted by Blue T:
Actually, you should be frying your eggs in Redline (also available at Advance - at least for the time being). After all, aren't esters natural vegetable oils?

All the natural oils except tall oil are esters. Tall oil contains no glycerin, just fatty acids and a little rosin. It is distilled from old pine stumps. It is mostly mono unsaturated, but please do not fry my food in it.

I am not sure what Red Line is. There are many esters that are not natural oils. I will make sure Red Line or any other oil doesn't contain any unsaturated fatty acids before I ever use any of it in my engine. I just can't see how anything that makes good paint because it hardens, should be used as motor oil. There are thousands, maybe millions of esters without unsaturated fatty acids. The glycerin in natural oils is poorer in heat stability than most other polyols. Why start with an inherently unstable material as motor oil?

It's always fun to look at the oil section at supermarkets. Sometimes you find interesting stuff, like the "Motor Honey" at a Farmer Jack nearby. A Kroger had Durablend for something like $2.99, noting regular price around $3.59 or something like that. True too. If you go to an old fashioned type auto parts store, the Durablend will be around $3.59. One parts store wanted $5 for Durablend. When I complained, the guy said, "this stuff has synthetic in it." Thankfully I bought my Durablend stash for $1.98 and $1.88 a quart at Pep Boys sales.

Costco has cases of Mobil Drive Clean for $14 each, but they're not a typical supermarket.

Makes me wonder what they'll sell instead of Drive Clean after they sell out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back