Resuse filter w/little miles?! or change it? S2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
My buddy and i are having a debate on his situation. Hes got an 06 s2000 that he only drives mainly in spring and summer. He changed the oil this past may and roughly put only 1200-1500 miles on the car this past season. He only changes the oil once a year to be noted. I told him that because he only put so little miles on the car this past season that when he changes the oil in the spring that he should not change the filter and just just use that filter again and not have to change it. Filter being used is a oem honda 15400-pcx-004. Lets get some opinons on this. Should the filter be changed? or should he use it for the 2015 spring/summer season?

As an aircraft mechanic, we are trained to cut apart and carefully inspect filters. It's incredibly rare, even on crummy aircraft engines, to find any form of debris in a filter.

I do the same for my cars and have never found even a microscopic spec of debris or any form of restriction.

There is little risk in going 2 or even 3 oil change intervals on his filter. In fact, there is more risk of a "dry start" with a filter change.

Does he do short trips? Does the oil get up to temp often? If not moisture is both an enemy to oil and oil filters.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Originally Posted By: Bud_One
I'd leave it on for 2 - OCI

+1

+2

+3.....

I recently cut open the oversized filter (purolator made) that I had run for 2 OCI's (seasons) on my lawn tractor and it looked great. This was an older purolator and there was no tearing.

I have looked closely at the filter paper of many filters and I agree, never found any visible debris, but I have had a Purolator filter fall apart. see here...http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3540434/3

I try to use high quality filters and get 2-3 changes on a filter. That's not typical on all of our vehicles just the Regal its a pain to get to and even bigger pain getting it back on.

I want to hurry up and change the oil on it. During winter months I just let the local shops deal with it. I don't necessarily like others working on my vehicles but at least I can say I'm supporting the local community and leave it at that.

I also have an '06 S2000 and I put 15k miles(two oil changes) on the filter. I would just change it once a year or even try it out on a once every two year schedule if all he does is 1500 miles per year.

ROD

yeah he drives roughly 1500-200 miles every spring summer season, and all the drives are 30+ miles. he doesn't do any short trips

PCX-004 is a very filter, it can easily be used for 7-8k miles in S2000.

I used a regular paper cartridge Hengst oil filter for 2 OCI's of 10-11k miles in E430, it was in perfect condition after more than 20k miles.

Take good care of the air filter and its hoses then you can extend the FCI to 10-20k miles without worrying.

My 2004 owners manual recommends changing the filter every other OC. Is that what yours says?

I change my filter every OCI though!

There's a conflict in logic in the proposed situation. It's a mixture of what the OP is giving as advice versus what his friend wants to do.

If you're the personality to change the oil once a year, you're already of the mindset to spend a little more money for "prevention". So follow the same logic and change the filter every year too.

It's a mismashed set of logic where you're being preventative for the oil, yet being frugal for the extra $5 for the filter while you're already spending the time and labor.

Not saying either way is wrong, but it is mixing your own perspective with someone else's logic, which is why the question is a bit twisted and a bit of a moot point that will lead only to arguments.

Do whatever you want for yourself, but if your friend wants to be preventative, it's a useless debate to convince him to be frugal for $5, but you conceded he should waste $20 for the early OCI.

Did he actually ask for advice? I gather he did not, his mind is already set, and try to see the logic from his side and move on to something else.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
My 2004 owners manual recommends changing the filter every other OC. Is that what yours says?

I change my filter every OCI though!

On my '06 it says to change the oil filter every other oil change.
I run a Baldwin filter that is over twice as large as the stock oil filter on the S so I have even gone 19k miles on the filter when my wife and I took two 6k+ mile vacations in one summer. Normally though I do change it(oil filter) every other oil change(15k miles).
Here are some pick's of the Baldwin, Honda and Wix/Napa oil filters
http://s949.photobucket.com/user/rrounds/library/Oil Filters?sort=2&page=1
We have over 110k miles on our S and it runs as good and smog's as clean now as it did when I bought it with 19,998 on it.

ROD

he was asking. i told him because the oil has so few miles on it and its a great filter that it can be used for 2 seasons without a problem. but then theres the people in PCMO forum saying its ok to use it for 2 seasons but its a waste of oil to change it out every year and its causing more harm then good? What about moisture that collects in the oil and fuel dillution esp from when the car sits from November to march? and is started once or twice a month?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back