"Resurrecting" Organics (Damaged?) Mazda Paintwork

Per the attached three snapshots, I am embarrassed to say that my outdoors-stored 2017 Mazda is full of organics buildup, on never-waxed paint 🙁. As Mazda's have extremely thin clearcoat, I would like to poll the Learned members of this forum re how to proceed.

I am willing to accept leaving swirl marks on the dark blue metallic paintwork, instead of trying to polish them out (for fear of wearing off the very thin clearcoat). Would soaking the paintwork in water, moderately hot water, and using a microfiber glove be a way to start? Would a pressure washer held at a distance be of some use? Would claybarring lightly, be a way of trying to "drag" off the buildup... be ok? What about a wet rag with Turtle wax white polish, that old-school stuff, lightly rubbing the surface with soap and a lubricant?

Attachments

• PXL_20220528_032349099.jpg
    PXL_20220528_032349099.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 62
  • PXL_20220528_032335934.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220528_032335934.MP.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 60
  • PXL_20220528_032453805.jpg
    PXL_20220528_032453805.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 61
What % water versus vinaigre (which is, itself, 5% acetic acid)?

Also, though you don't mention this product, can folks advise just how abrasive, in the grand scheme of things, is this 'real old Turtle wax "polishing compound"?

Attachments

• PXL_20220528_190648801.jpg
    PXL_20220528_190648801.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 7
Looks like a long term buildup of dirt, pollen and algae/mold growth from lack of cleaning. I see it all the time on non-driveable vehicles that have sat unwashed for years. It should wash off with Dawn dish detergent and a soft cotton terrycloth towel. Use lots of water to pre-soak it and use patience while scubbing gently. You should not need to use harsh chemicals, abrasive compounds or vinegar/acid solutions.

What % water versus vinaigre (which is, itself, 5% acetic acid)?

Also, though you don't mention this product, can folks advise just how abrasive, in the grand scheme of things, is this 'real old Turtle wax "polishing compound"?
I mix it 50/50. Let it dwell but don't let it dry.

If you want to hand polish, go get the maroon bottle Meguiar's Rubbing and Polishing Compounds.

The Turtle Wax paste is fairly aggressive IIRC but should work if fine if you don't use a lot of pressure. That would be a last step IMO and thr paint needs to be as clean as possible beforehand.

Looks like a long term buildup of dirt, pollen and algae/mold growth from lack of cleaning. I see it all the time on non-driveable vehicles that have sat unwashed for years.
There's no hiding from observant eyes, is there...

Walk of shame... 😐

Thank you; I'll try that approach.

Last edited:
I mix it 50/50. Let it dwell but don't let it dry.

If you want to hand polish, go get the maroon bottle Meguiar's Rubbing and Polishing Compounds.

The Turtle Wax paste is fairly aggressive IIRC but should work if fine if you don't use a lot of pressure. That would be a last step IMO and thr paint needs to be as clean as possible beforehand.
Thanks for the Meguire's tip, plus the other ideas.

Indeed, thank you to All who have responded to help me 😊.

I'm guessing the diluted vinegar, being a very mild acid, counters the waterspot/basic (by way of alkalinity) deposits that are there, and speeds things along, if done carefully...

I'll see how it proceeds with the milder approach, and get to the vinegar trick if it's being stubborn... Thx!

See how much you can hose off first. If it’s really stubborn mix up a bucket of car wash on the strong side and soak some towels in that. Then lay the towels over the stubborn areas and leave them overnight. Occasionally pour more car wash onto the towels to keep them soaked.

Hopefully after a good twelve hours those areas will be softened up enough to wash normally. If they are really tough use a plastic razor blade to carefully remove any bad spots being careful to not mar the finish. You can buy plastic razor blades at most automotive stores.

Back