Results of new PCV valve on '97 Ford Expedition 4.6L

Joined
Jan 6, 2005
Messages
7,550
Location
North Alabama
FWIW, Approx. 1 month ago , I put a new Deutsch PCV valve in my wife's '97 Expedition 4.6L w/110k miles & it seems to have cured the Expy's oil consumption problem. I don't understand the science behind PCV's & oil consumption, but it seems to have done the trick. I just thought the BITOGers should know. [Smile]
 
Joined
Mar 23, 2005
Messages
615
Location
Alma, Michigan USA
Wayne, Great that the pcv valve solved your oil use problem. What oil are you presently using and what is your oil consumption? Has the pcv fix, improved the fuel economy? Just curious. Paul [Cheers!]
 
Joined
Oct 22, 2003
Messages
13,132
Location
By Detroit
How did the old valve compare with the new one? When I change PCV valves (I like to do it every 10,000 miles) usually the old one does not shake as freely as the new one. I changed one the other day and the old one leaks when you blow into the top of it (new one seals off without leaks). (So I am hoping this helps my problem of carbon buildup on the plugs (27,000 miles), but I also will be running Neutra in the fuel constantly to help clean everything out.)
 
Joined
Jan 21, 2003
Messages
1,759
Location
Elizabeth City NC
Nice to know it is not a myth about the PCV valve and oil consumption. Honda charges about 20 dollars for a new one so one every 10,000 is not in my pocketbook. However it will get a new one every 100,000 for sure.
 

wavinwayne

Thread starter
Joined
Jan 6, 2005
Messages
7,550
Location
North Alabama
quote:
Originally posted by pastmaster: Wayne, Great that the pcv valve solved your oil use problem. What oil are you presently using and what is your oil consumption? Has the pcv fix, improved the fuel economy? Just curious. Paul [Cheers!]
pastmaster, I'm presently using Havoline synthetic in the Expedition - half 5w30, half 10w30. Oil consumption since I changed the PCV valve has been nill. It's been approx. 700 miles since I replaced it. I've not noticed any improved fuel economy. The spark plugs are in desperate need of replacing, so I'm sure that's hurting the fuel mileage. We get approx. 16 mpg in the Expy. One final note, pastmaster; You asked me recently how the MMO treatment in the Expedition went. I still have the Motorcraft FL820S oil filter from that experiment sitting on a shelf in my garage. If I have time, I will cut it open this weekend & post some pics of it.
 

wavinwayne

Thread starter
Joined
Jan 6, 2005
Messages
7,550
Location
North Alabama
quote:
Originally posted by TallPaul: How did the old valve compare with the new one? When I change PCV valves (I like to do it every 10,000 miles) usually the old one does not shake as freely as the new one. I changed one the other day and the old one leaks when you blow into the top of it (new one seals off without leaks). (So I am hoping this helps my problem of carbon buildup on the plugs (27,000 miles), but I also will be running Neutra in the fuel constantly to help clean everything out.)
TallPaul, The only thing I noticed was the Deutsch PCV rattled a little more freely than the Motorcraft PCV that had been in there since it rolled out of the factory. I should have changed it long ago. Also, the Deutsch doesn't seem to be of the same quality as the MC part. This is to be expected, I guess. [Off Topic!] TallPaul, every time I see your screen name, it reminds me of a business from my original hometown of Athens, AL. called Tall Paul's rent-all. [Smile] I don't know why I told you that; It's just something that crossed my mind.
 

wavinwayne

Thread starter
Joined
Jan 6, 2005
Messages
7,550
Location
North Alabama
quote:
Originally posted by TR3-2001SE: Nice to know it is not a myth about the PCV valve and oil consumption. Honda charges about 20 dollars for a new one so one every 10,000 is not in my pocketbook. However it will get a new one every 100,000 for sure.
I would change it at 50k & use the Honda part. Like a previous poster stated, it is one of the most overloooked maintenance items on an engine. At $20, it's well worth replacing at 50k, IMO. I don't know about the Honda, but it is SUPER-EASY to change the PCV in my wife's Expedition. A two-minute job...tops.
 
Top