Results of my oil tour/some questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I went on a oil tour covering al the Auto Zones and Walmarts in Knoxville, and Oak Ridge, (TN)

For a long time I've been trying to find Chevron, and GC.
I went to 3 Walmarts, and in the 3rd one I was able to find 6 qts of Chevron 10w-30, and bought it ($1.08 per qt)! all other Walmarts had only 1-2 bottles of it in stock...

No GC, just old yeller in AutoZone...
Mobil Drive clean plus almost everywhere, lots of it for 2.08 dollars/qt.
------
Now the questions;
I plan to use Chevron 10w-30(if I can't find GC) after my Auto Rx treatment, and that'll still be in winter.
--my engine is a 1997 Ford Modular 4.6L(87000 miles), and I wonder if I should switch to Chevron 10-40 in summer. is this as good as the Chev.10w-30?

--How thick is Chevron 10-30?
--Can I mix Chev10-30 with 10w-40 or Delo400 15w-40 in 4:1 ratio? what kind of vis would this give?

--How good is Mobil Drive clean plus compared to Chev? Compared to Chev 10-30, how thick is this oil(10-30)?

Sorry, a bunch of questions, I know...would appreciate it much if aomeone is patient enough to help...

Drive Clean Plus has some PAO in it, which the Chevron oil doesn't. It's also a pretty heavy 30 wt, and that's why it doesn't have the GF-3 EC starburst on the bottle.

97tbird,

We are a sick bunch. I go to the oil section at Wal-mart immediately to check out the Chevron. 2 nights ago I found a couple of 10w-40s, 10w-30s and a 10w-40.

I have a case of 10w-30 that I just cracked open for an oil change.

It's getting to the point where I am behaving as I did in my youth. I gradually became more interested in reading about exercisng than exercising.

I know in my heart that a 3k mile oil change over 3 or 4 months is about as safe and painless as you can get, but yet I remain obsessed!

banghead.gif

If you have Kragens in your area, check out the Sunday paper for coupons. Almost every Sunday in my town, Kragen has coupons for Chevron Supreme at .99/qt for up to 12 qts. I'm currently able to control *my* (not my cars') oil consumption and have been keeping only a case at a time in my garage.
wink.gif

I just took 25 gallons of used oil to the re-cycle place for the second time in one year.
Its not un-common for me to have over $1,000.00 worth of oil, grease, filters, and other fluids around my dump.
Now the regional district is complaining about too many vehicles "of un-known value and running condition" in my yard.
I mowed the lawn yesterday and found a one ton crew cab.
Ok I guess the gig is up, 13 vehicles on a 1/2 acre lot is too many. I started today by taking the front and rear diffs out of my kid's defunct 83 Toyota 4X4, tomorrow the engine, trans, transfer case, winch, bush bumper, ect ect while he is out having fun kyaking.
pat.gif

Is all of this car, truck, and oil thing obsessive compulsive behavour?

[ October 04, 2003, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: userfriendly ]

Originally posted by userfriendly:
[QB] *-*-*-*-
Its not un-common for me to have over $1,000.00 worth of oil, grease, filters, and other fluids around my dump.
Good Man. very very good man.

Now the regional district is complaining about too many vehicles "of un-known value and running condition" in my yard.
-*-*-*-*-*-
They are not, I know a couple fellows with the sam problem in the past. They are ART, yes Artwork, and you appreciate art in a different way than youre neighbor, so what, that is your closely held spiritual belief, this stuff is no game to you, it has value and the value can not be taken away by some bully.
Without bureaucrats there could never be any tyrants, now, think about that.
No, in my humbel opinion, from your passion and dedication to your automobiles, you myst have very high regard for the intrinsic artistic value they hold.... It's ART.

One of the junkers is a rust free 2 door 57 Chev wagon. No motor or tranny, but the diff is a Ford 9" the last owner put in it, and it has a 60s NHRA decal on the window.
Hey, maybe I could set it on a 4X4 Suburban frame and mud race it??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back