Restoring an Old Toy Tractor

Al

Dad mad it for me back in the day. I am going to bring it back to original. The issue is the wheels and tires. I could buy new wheels and adapt them to the axle. But I would like to get new rubber on them. The key is finding someone that does this. Many years I took a piece of hose and jury rigged it for the grandkids. Any thoughts?
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited:
How are the wheels fixed to the axles so that they turn with it? Is there a pin through or?? I am guessing that only one turns with the axle, so that there is differential action. Right?

Last edited:
Its nice that youre doing that and trying to get it back to original.

My thought is this - buy one of those lapp wheels, remove the rubber, make a mold, and pour either polyurethane or epoxy into a mold made for it. Once successful, re-do yours.

Kind of like how they pour these materials to make new bushings. Not sure if/how it would bond... But to me it would be worth the shot. Make a mold out of something you can form or carve. Might be tamped sand, might be something else. Shave down the wheel to the right diameter. Doesnt need to be perfect.

Someone has to be able to do your wheels. One of my customers restores Tucker 48's. They had a fresh bottom end engine but no heads. They found someone to cast brand new heads even with Tucker embossed on them.

So someone does it,just have to find them.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
How can you not show a shot of the entire tractor??? Your dad was a welder and fabricator from the looks of it. Adjustable seat and belt tension? Very cool.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The one wheel is basicllt welded to the shaft. The other free wheels. My dad was an amazing welder. They would send him to other power plants. He had the help of a machinist or two..lol

Al, that is amazing. Belt driven steering? Some would say leave the patina and fix any mechanical problems and find a tire. It's a piece of your family history, do what makes you happy. Priceless.

A little searching found this website with some pedal car parts, they have solid tires: solid tires

Last edited:
Back