Restore video

Status
Not open for further replies.
For an engine blowing oil on its death bed, it actually does offer some value if you want to try and extend its life a little. In anything that runs well it offers ZERO value.

I think these products are a truly last resort, and expectations should reflect that.

That being said, if your trying to limp someone along in there vehicle in a tough time for them, if this keeps it going and drivable, then it buys some more time. For $10, I guess its good to have available.

This product fixed my engine after it was damaged from malicious intent. Two shops told me my compression was below standard and one said the piston rings were gone. The car was using a 1/2 quart of oil in 200 miles.

After washing out the crankcase with flush/solvents/MMO/etc. I used a 6 cylinder can of restore and 2 quarts of oil. I drove the car to work for two weeks and the power improved. The car no longer burns oil, compression is up in 3 of 4 cylinders. Did a leak down test and the results were astonishing (above 80%). This restore stuff filled in the scratches and saved the engine. The crankcase hose no longer whistles when you rev the engine, and the crankcase pressure is back to normal. One shop quoted me $3500 for a junkyard engine to fix a car valued under $1,000.

The Restore stuff does what it claims by filling in scratches with lead, copper and other fillers. Some research on this stuff indicates to use a small amount (5%) as maintenance because it wears off.

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
Won't it clog more than it helps, if it does work?

It might plug up the filter, however as some of us mentioned it is a last resort product and is not for regular use in a healthy engine. It is typically added to vehicles in need of a ring job to reduce oil consumption and give compression a little boost. If an engine is bad enough to need this stuff, clogging something up is the least of that car owner's worries.

This topic has been discussed before and there are several reports of the product working as advertised in beaters in need of repairs.

This Restore stuff is full of solvents that might wash deposits loose and clog the filter. The particles are tiny and will pass through the filter. None of my engines have had clogged filters from this Restore product, not a concern unless your engine is loaded with sludge.

Back in the late '90s a friend used Restore on a very tired 327 in a '68 Caprice. He said it brought the compression up and made a big difference in the power that it had. After he opened it up for a proper rebuild, he said you could see where the Restore had filled in the wear marks in the cylinders, etc.

I used it in a 10HP Kohler in a 1970 John Deere 112. Since that engine is splash lubed, I used it at a higher dose than recommended and it stopped the engine from smoking through the exhaust and cut oil consumption quite a bit. That engine is still waiting for me to get around to overhauling it, so I look forward to seeing what the inside looks like when I finally have the time to do it.

Andrew S.

Originally Posted By: Dufus2
This product fixed my engine after it was damaged from malicious intent. Two shops told me my compression was below standard and one said the piston rings were gone. The car was using a 1/2 quart of oil in 200 miles.

After washing out the crankcase with flush/solvents/MMO/etc. I used a 6 cylinder can of restore and 2 quarts of oil. I drove the car to work for two weeks and the power improved. The car no longer burns oil, compression is up in 3 of 4 cylinders. Did a leak down test and the results were astonishing (above 80%). This restore stuff filled in the scratches and saved the engine. The crankcase hose no longer whistles when you rev the engine, and the crankcase pressure is back to normal. One shop quoted me $3500 for a junkyard engine to fix a car valued under $1,000.

The Restore stuff does what it claims by filling in scratches with lead, copper and other fillers. Some research on this stuff indicates to use a small amount (5%) as maintenance because it wears off.

That stuff didn't fix anything. What it did was prolong death,which is exactly what it's supposed to do.

I used it in high school. Plugged my oil filter,staved the cam of oil and rounded off the lobes. When I saw the filter media after dissection(looking for metal bits,which we found)the folds once stretched out left 1/16 if residue,and the media was completely covered. If oil made it past that I applaud the oil pump for its valiant effort.
Don't use this stuff in an engine you want to keep.

I wonder how long those results will last?
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bamaro
I wonder how long those results will last?
21.gif

Until you change the oil. It has to be used each and every OCI in a tired ready for the junkyard engine.

So my old 2005 LaSabre with a 100k miles, I should not use restore on it??? It runs ok now, if it aint broke, dont touch it??

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
So my old 2005 LaSabre with a 100k miles, I should not use restore on it??? It runs ok now, if it aint broke, dont touch it??

Is it an oil burning pig on its last legs and you want to stretch some more additional life out of it? If the answer is yes, then go for it. If the answer is no, don't use it.

i have a 97 oldsmobile with the 3.8 liter and over 308,000 miles and it does not burn oil only when I tried to use 5w-20 in the summer did i notice a little consumption-about a 1/2 quart in my normal 4-5k oil change interval. running 5w20 in the winter now for it's 5th year and so far so good,,,so depending on vehicle and care you may be surprised how long you can keep them running well.

i have not read this whole thread and not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but you may look into the liqui moly oil additives, i am going to begin using the MOS and MOS2 products for my own personal evaluation here real soon.

Last edited:
If only I had a car that new and with so few miles
grin.gif

What is it you are trying to fix?

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back