Respirators

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hello,

Picked up an MSA respirator at HD tonight for when I oil the underside of the car. I sprayed the enamel paint on the rust treatment Ive been doing, and the N95 masks I use just werent cutting it. Since Ill be under longer with the oil, I wanted to use something a bit better.

I bought an MSA, though I was originally planning on buying a 3M, which I didnt see there.

Im curious of a few things:

-is one brand better than another? I like the idea of low-profile, but then again, having the cans being the proper type for what is being done (e.g. paints and organics) is also important.

-Is the interface for the replacement cans the same amongst brands? For example, if I have an MSA mask, can I buy 3m cans and install them? Or is the seemingly 1/4 turn cartridge and hole different by manufacturer?

Thanks very much!

I've only ever used 3m respirators and can't tell you which of them isbetter, or if the cartridges are compatible among the brands, though I highly doubt it.

Do remove the cartridges from the mask and put them in tight fitting zip lock bags in between uses.

I use to build surfboards and if the cartridges were not protected when not in use one could smell/ taste the resin after just a few days, where they would last weeks if steps were taken to limit their exposure when not needed.

The filters are charcoal,they activate when exposed to air.They have a certain hour rating of useful life.Seal the respirator up in a zip loc or tupperware when not in use.Will last a long time.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

-Is the interface for the replacement cans the same amongst brands? For example, if I have an MSA mask, can I buy 3m cans and install them? Or is the seemingly 1/4 turn cartridge and hole different by manufacturer?

I have had two different brands of mask and the cans were not interchangeable, so I'm guessing there is no standard, or if two brands are the same it is by accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back