Resolving driveability issues - 97 Tbird w/4.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
134k miles. It never really has run smoothly since I got it a few months ago. Rain would make things worse. PLUS the big one was the OD shift on the trans would "hunt" back and forth on the slightest incline making it a shuddery mess to drive. New plugs (Autolite platinums), new plug wires (Napa mid range), new PCV and fixing vacuum leaks resolved it. The Autolites all required widening the cap considerably and the Napa wires were all just a little too long, but now it starts quickly, accelerates smoothly and drives like it's supposed to. No doubt the computer gets at least a portion of its shift point input from engine vacuum and as leaky as that motor was, no wonder the trans behaved as it did. The only PITA was I had to remove the alternator. Some of the plug wires are routed underneath it at the 12 o'clock position. Maybe this will help somebody else out with a 4.6 exhibiting similar symptoms.

Interesting info. I had a '95 with the 4.6L. Nothing to complain about on the internals of the motor, but the rest was uh... quirky. Glad it's resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back