Research Finds 16% of SM Oils are Flawed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did not see anybody put this up. Recently we learned that some API certified oils were out of spec, but PQIA just scratched the surface.

Referring to O'Reilly and Road-Tech oil

Quote:
"The O'Reilly brand did not fail Noack specifications in our testing, but it did test out of SAE J300 specifications for low-temperature properties,” Herrmann said. “Both the Road-Tech Premium samples we tested failed Noack volatility specs, even outside of the API expanded ranges. The Road-Tech SAE 5W-30 also failed to meet the J300 minimum of at least 2.9 for High Temperature/High Shear viscosity at 150 degrees C.

"These results indicate that none of these samples meet the SM/GF-4 standards as claimed on their labels -- for more substantial reasons than presented in the Aug. 11 Lube Report article," Herrmann pointed out."

Of course everybody knows a certain brand could never fail an engine test.
smirk2.gif

http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article001846534.cfm?x=b11,0,w

I'd like to see Valvoline or Castrol or Mobil 1 or Amsoil or some of those tested....

Looks like they just looked at "house brand" type of oils or - they are singling out those oils for (whatever) reason.

The report goes on to say that failures are half of what they were just a few years ago - which is good.

Do you know how we can get a list of all of the oils that failed?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kballowe
I'd like to see Valvoline or Castrol or Mobil 1 or Amsoil or some of those tested....

Looks like they just looked at "house brand" type of oils.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

I don't think IOM sells a list of oils that failed, but that would be VERY interesting.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Do a search - they were tested and all the major brands passed.

PQIA didn't test for gelation, pumpability, HTHS, etc.

Take this report with a grain of salt. I validate electrical components for certain car manufacturers (using SAE USCAR specs, JIS specs, etc.) and there are many components that make it on vehicles that do not meet the "specified criteria."

If memory serves me right, the ONLY state in the USA that regulates motor oil and petroleum products, to insure that standardes are met, is North Carolina.

I wonder if they have a listing of oils that passed and failed?

No big megalo store with severe price pressure on it's suppliers would ever put subpar products on their shelves...

The sample of failure indicates they were "slightly" failing the spec at thinks like CCS, Gel Index at cold temperature, PPM of Phosphate, etc.

My money is on the test methodology or handling, calibration, etc rather than "oil is bad". Even if they are bad, isn't going to be a big problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back