Request Assistance with Non-Automotive Curved Glass Repair

My wife any I inherited a curved glass china cabinet from my recently deceased mother... and all was well with the transport of said cabinet to our house... that is to say, all WAS well until several days after it arrived, when spontaneously a strange tear-drop shaped crack occurred (please see photo). As folks will note, the glass is curved, and the crack starts at an edge and then returns (in a curved direction) back to the crack running-line. I would not have thought that that would/could occur.

Replacement of the curved glass would: i) be $$; and ii) require removal of the top, say, of the cabinet (PITA) and so I want to explore repair possibilities. Don't need perfection, here. Note that I currently have the teardrop taped in place; it cannot be "poked-through", but it can be removed in the outwards direction. Also, no shards are broken off; it is fully intact and it can lightly be shifted so edges are flush with the surrounding glass.

Do folks have any ideas re how to repair-in-place? Cabinet can be, of course, set on its back to allow for repair.

Can windshield repair technology be used? A home kit or use a professional? Bring to shop, or have repair tech come to our home?

Any other ideas? Please and Thanks, in advance!

Attachments

• PXL_20211202_163132028.jpg
    PXL_20211202_163132028.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
You know, by way of capillary-action, I would have thought that automotive glass repair technology could offer a solution, where for all intents and purposes the crack could become well-nigh invisible. Would that technology require a person to drill an actual blind hole, to effectively make-for a trough for the adhesive to sit in while, say, the backside of the "tear-drop" is taped-up, preventing adhesive from leaking out, and so that some pressure can be applied by the syringe-like apparatus to tease capilary flow into occurring? I would worry that the glass drill would catch an edge of the crack as it rotates, causing shards to break off at best, and propagating another crack at worst...

Thoughts???

Interesting comment above. I wonder if you could just try brushing auto type chip repair resin and then cure it with a strong light source or try one of the light curing adhesives you see advertised. One with a thin body that could wicked, blown or otherwise be forced into the crack then cured, maybe a section at a time. After cure, just scrape off the excess, like a chip repair. Always wanted to try the light cure products...

Most furniture (not all) will have a manufacturer model number or sku number either on the back or bottom of the piece. Check to see if there is one and Google it. You may get lucky and find a replacement piece of glass. Most curios will have the glass held in with plastic clips screwed from inside. That is where I would look first

Don

Back