repurpose hydro fluid (or PS or ATF) into chain saw chain lube?

Yo BITOG crew.
Is there any reason not to use some leftover hydrostatic fluid or ATF in a chainsaw?
I have about a quart of leftover LV Hygard from changing the hydro on my JD 316. Any harm in using that as chain lube (or any power steering or ATF for that matter)?
Hygard is one of those specialty leftovers that really has no other useful destiny.

It'll fling all over the place and you'll use more of it. Chain lube is usually somewhere in the 30wt range and has tackifiers to make it stick to the chain and bar, ATF is usually 10wt or thinner and has no tackifiers. If you really want to use it I would mix it 50/50 with regular bar oil and use it as a winter grade bar oil.

I'd give it a try, worst case? You use up it faster. I can remember my dad using 2-stroke oil for bar and chain lube up at the cottage when I was a kid. It's what he had on hand and didn't want to waste the weekend going into town for the regular lube.

And besides, the leftover fluid is free, right?

Much appreciated, all.
I have some real b/c lube remaining. I will mix with that and happily pretend it is a full bottle.
Any remaining can be for simple light oiling "around the house", I guess.

I use my recycled oil for the chain saw, You are cutting into wood so lots of oil is needed new and expensive or used and "free".

Use anything you want.... "Real" Bar oil is not petroleum based as to be enviromentialy friendly.
The vast majority of bar oil is petroleum based. There's only a handful of options that are bio based and you have to be careful with those as they will turn to jelly in your tank and go rancid.

I tried some ATV 10w40 and GTX 20w50 oil in my chainsaws and I didn't like it. It would lube but not enough to last until full rotation. After getting a gallon of Super Tech bar oil from Walmart I don't experiment anymore. Even with cheapest bar oil you can see it's flinging it off at the tip of the bar.

Yo BITOG crew.
Is there any reason not to use some leftover hydrostatic fluid or ATF in a chainsaw?
I have about a quart of leftover LV Hygard from changing the hydro on my JD 316. Any harm in using that as chain lube (or any power steering or ATF for that matter)?
Hygard is one of those specialty leftovers that really has no other useful destiny.
Won't go in any of my saws, but being a BITOG I stocked up on harvester 2 gallon jugs @ $9.99 a few years ago. Might have enough for the rest of my life!

The vast majority of bar oil is petroleum based. There's only a handful of options that are bio based and you have to be careful with those as they will turn to jelly in your tank and go rancid.

Correct... Petroleum 30wt with tackifier's. If your oil reservoir runs dry your saw will stop cutting, I don't care how sharp your chain is. Oil is that important.

I wouldn't because the fluid is going to be flung all over the place, including me.

Back