Repsol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone here use Repsol? I was recently at a motorcycle show and bought some 10-40 full syn, for a great price, nearly half off the price at my dealer.
I just bought a '07 Yamaha FZ6 (new) and asked what oil to run, the service guy said Repsol or Motul semi or full syn. He said it makes it easier to get neutral. Also said it helps with vibration, Yamalube 20-40 he said makes the engine rough. I paid ~$8 per liter for the Repsol, normally it is $13, same with the Motul. Yamalube is around $15 (all are full syn).

Me being cheap, I was going to use my "normal" motorcycle oil, Rotella T (either 15-40 or the syn 5-40), but am worried about using it in an engine that runs to 14,000 rpm.

Any suggestions comments?
Thanks.

Nothing wroungh with using Shell Rotella 15w40 or the syn.5w40 I've used both I'm now using Amsoil AME 15w40 syn HD diesel motor oil just because I became a Amsoil preferred customer and it should hold up about as well as there MCF 10W40 syn. motorcycle oil.
Repsol would be good but I would not pay more that $8 a qt. for it.

-Daryl

I road race motorcycles. Nothing wrong with the Rotella products at all even to the R6V model's redline, whatever it ended up being, but it was above 15.5k easy.

I usually do my break in on Rotella 15W40 then move to the synthetic Rotella 5W40. Yes, I am also considering the Amsoil diesel oil too. One reason would be ease of inventory as I transport my stuff in a diesel E350.

I do want to buy the Amsoil oil filters for all my stuff, I think. Microglass should give better filtration over the OEM stuff, which is generally good stuff, IMHO.

I have had excellent results with the Rotella 15-40 in my old bike, a Honda CX500. I think I will use the 15-40 during break in and then use up the Repsol, then go to Rotella Synthetic. Can't beat the price of the RTS though, cost the same PER GALLON as the Repsol is per LITER!
Oh, and thanks for the replies!

I have run both rotellas in my zx9 no problems. Rotella syn is in there now.

run the rotella 15w40 in my dirtbike both sides

Originally Posted By: wolfc70
Anyone here use Repsol? I was recently at a motorcycle show and bought some 10-40 full syn, for a great price, nearly half off the price at my dealer.
I just bought a '07 Yamaha FZ6 (new) and asked what oil to run, the service guy said Repsol or Motul semi or full syn. He said it makes it easier to get neutral. Also said it helps with vibration, Yamalube 20-40 he said makes the engine rough. I paid ~$8 per liter for the Repsol, normally it is $13, same with the Motul. Yamalube is around $15 (all are full syn).

Me being cheap, I was going to use my "normal" motorcycle oil, Rotella T (either 15-40 or the syn 5-40), but am worried about using it in an engine that runs to 14,000 rpm.

Any suggestions comments?
Thanks.

2006 FZ6(s)

We have a couple FZ6(s). They like the Rotella. We ride in weather down to 30 degrees so they're loaded with Rotella 5w-40.
Used Rotella 15w40 for many, many years and am happy with it.
Works well in these, too.....

07 FJR1300

2007 Gold Wing

The Rotella is a favorite with many, many motorcycle owners. The new CJ-4 meets the JASO-MA requirement, so there you go.

Last edited:
If you like the idea of using synthetic oil then get yourself some Rotella 5w40. Then go out and get a Purolator PureOne PL14610 (long) or PL14612 (OEM length). Advance Auto parts is where I get mine.

This 2000 YZFR6 runs that setup and we have had zero problems with it.

5589R6_N_RK1.JPG

So the PureOne PL14612 will fit an FZ6? I have been trying to cross reference the Yamaha filter, as most said it is junk, and the dealer wants $17 for it. I believe the FZ6 is based on the 2003-2004 R6 engine architecture.

Kballowe, nice photo, that color on the Road King is one of my favorites.

Originally Posted By: wolfc70
So the PureOne PL14612 will fit an FZ6? I have been trying to cross reference the Yamaha filter, as most said it is junk, and the dealer wants $17 for it. I believe the FZ6 is based on the 2003-2004 R6 engine architecture.

Kballowe, nice photo, that color on the Road King is one of my favorites.

That color "morphs", depending on the light.....
55892006_Road_King.JPG

Yes, the PL14612 is OEM length but you can use the PL14610 which is about 3/4" longer, if you like. Just a little more filtering area.

Here is a link to an excellent FZ6 forum. Lots and lots of good information there.

Sportbikes,net-FZ-6 Forum

My son has an '06 and I liked it so well that I got one for myself.

What can I say?

I use the PL14610's on my zx9r, could probably use a longer one if they made it. Not a problem with these filters.

I usually get mine at amazon dot com, 2 for 1.

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
I use the PL14610's on my zx9r, could probably use a longer one if they made it. Not a problem with these filters.

I usually get mine at amazon dot com, 2 for 1.

Do tell....... I think I'm paying something like six bucks by the time they add sales tax. I run those Purolator filters on a lot of stuff so I could do the old bulk purchase thing.......

I just go to amazon.com, type in the pure one 14610 and most of the time they have a 2 for 1 special. usually around $5.88, which is what I normally see them in the auto stores for one.

If you get over $25 (basically 5 of the 2 packs) it is free shipping. I have about 14 for my corolla and around 10 for my bike.

Just checked on there and they are 10.88 for two so apparently price went up. Maybe you can catch it from time to time.

Yeah I just got the two for one at the local parts store. Then I sent the wife in, then the youngest son. Limit per customer, you understand. 2 for one, with sales tax was $5.84. Less than three bucks a piece. I just love those BOGO sales, don't you? Must just have been my lucky day.
banana2.gif

I've read nothing but great things about Repsol. Never heard of it until recently. Friend bought a bike.

I also have a 2007 FZ6. Have you ever disassembeled a yamaha oem canister filter, specifically the 5GH-13440-20 that is spec'd for this bike? It is pretty unique. The filter media is a solid mass of material 1/4 in thick at the thinnest, more like 3/8 thick in other areas. This media looks to be "baked" onto a plastic core. The other interesting thing is that there's no relief valve. Apparently the media is tough enough to resist pressure differentials that would perforate a pleated filter. It would also have to flow well enough to provide good flow at cold temps. If it can do both these things without a relief valve, you can eliminate sending all the particles and contamination that accumulates on the dirty side of the filter back through the engine when and if the valve opens. Seems like a good idea to me. I know a lot of people around here like their purolators, but this particular filter for this particular bike (also spec'd for several other yam's) is indeed special.

Oh yeah and as far as oil goes, I'm sure you'll be happy with the repsol. I've found my FZ6 isn't picky, although it didn't like the mobil racing 4t (MX4T). Go figger'. Using rotella t 15w40 now. RPM's don't mess up oil... fuel dilution, heat, combustion by-products clutches and transmissions mess it up though. For my money, rotella and most other hdeo's handle those afore-mentioned nasty's better than most and the viscosity is nearly perfect for most bikes as it's within a gnat's a$$ of what the factory often recommends. Yamaha says 20w40?? 15w40 should be even better!!

Originally Posted By: buster
I've read nothing but great things about Repsol. Never heard of it until recently. Friend bought a bike.

Mustn't watch any GP bike racing then buster
LOL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back