Repsol YPF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone recently asked me about Repsol YPF 5w-40 for use in their 2zz-ge powered 2000+ Toyota Celica and I was unsure about this oil. I have never heard of it. I suggested Mobil 1 0w-40 for his car, but he cannot find it as he is in Panama. He has been using Mobil 1 15w-50 for daily driving and I would think this is too thick of an oil. What does everyone think about Repsol YPF?

All I gotta say is Repsol sponsored 500GP honda and had Rossi raing on there behalf! It's gotta be good oil!
grin.gif

A mate has a subarhubarb outback, and his dealer installs Repsol at every service. Not sure on which oil it is, but it's a synth.

15W-50 should be fine in Panama I reckon.

Repsol is the spanish company that bought YPF in Argentina. I don't know what Resol stands for, but YPF is Yacimientos Petroliferos Fiscales (it was the Argentine government oil company until about 8 years ago). They probably have the tecnology to produces decent stuff, but everything they sell here is junk. Most of the gear oils they sell here are GL-1, motor oils SC/CC or SD or CD. Their Low Ash Gas Engine oil shows twice the wear in half the time (compared with Chevron). They tell people they are testing some Group II oils, but I don't know for sure or for what applications. It's always possible that they have a good product out there somewhere, just doesn't make it to this market. Maybe the synthetic is made in Europe. I've never seen it. The Argentine company does not have an API license.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back