Reprieve on 0.05 % Phosphorus Limit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hot off the press: A columnist in the December Lubes N Greases magazine states that the lower 0.05 % phosphorus limit will not be part of the new GF-4 oil as the auto industry had originally wanted it to be. Says the GF-4 oil is to be introduced next July, but that the lower phosphorus level is being discussed for GF-5, which could be around in '07 or '08. Hopefully GF-4 will maintain the present 0.10 phosphorus level limit.

The new GF-4 phosphorous limit will be 0.08%. I believe the API is still working on API SM so it is not yet clear what the limit will be for oils that are rated API SM but not also rated ILSAC GF-4.

[ December 11, 2003, 02:48 AM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

As long as the additive suppliers come up with something to replace ZDDP, it ain't no big deal.

Additives such as Boron Esters and Calcium Carbonate's are replacing ZDDP's anyway. It's just that ZDDP is a mature chemistry and is the cheapest AW/antioxidant additive you can put in an oil, but the universe won't collapse if it's replaced.

quote:

As long as the additive suppliers come up with something to replace ZDDP, it ain't no big deal.

Additives such as Boron Esters and Calcium Carbonate's are replacing ZDDP's anyway. It's just that ZDDP is a mature chemistry and is the cheapest AW/antioxidant additive you can put in an oil, but the universe won't collapse if it's replaced.

I'm glad you posted this bc it's been said that Mobil 1 shows higher wear then Amsoil due to it's lack of ZDDP. Good to know then that there are other ways around the API.
cheers.gif

Thanks Molakule. Maybe that explains part of the high cost of Valvoline Maxlife (0.26% calcium). The other part I suspect would be a group II base oil product by a company that has a huge group I refinery.

The "reprieve" should buy enough time for a smooth transition as companies to get up to speed on alternate extreme pressure additives and hopefully for costs of those chemicals to be reduced with increased demand.

[ December 11, 2003, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: TallPaul ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back