Reports of Pennzoil Platinum Staying Clean

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the Pennzoil Platinum users out there, just exactly what are we talking about with the various reports of the oil staying clean thru a normal length OCI?

Is this "clean" description used for hot oil on a dipstick, or is it also for warm drain oil in a clean drain pan?

I'm tempted to run an interval of PP in my GMC Sierra 5.3L, just to see this "oil abnomally" firsthand, if the reports are valid!

I have PP in a car right now that has been in about 1,000 miles. It doesn't look any clearer than any other oil I have used for 1,000 miles of service.

I'll see if I can do a comparison for you later today between some Mobil 1 and PP, which have about the same km on them. The Mobil 1 is on the road now but, I just checked the PP and it is significantly dirtier than the last time I looked it, so there may not be that big a difference. Different vehicles, so that's another variable.

I'm not seeing "cleaner" oil in 5.3L using PP 10W-30. It's about the same as GC.

I've got about 1000 miles on my current OCI. I can take a pic of the oil on a white paper towel if you want to see it.

The virgin PP I poured into one of the 940s the other day looked alot darker than the Supertech dino that went into the 240 later on. The Supertech oil was very, very light in color, almost like brake fluid!

In my car in the summer, 10W30 PP didn't even START to darken for 5K. I changed it at 5600 labor day, it was a very little bit dark on a white napkin, but the stick was still golden yellow. I'm about to change Pennzoil yellow bottle SM 5W20 Dino at nearly 4500 (this time for 5W20 Havoline) and again, the oil isn't dirty. Barely darker than new on a napkin, and transparent on the stick. Hyundai 1.6 4-banger, 5 speed. PureOne filter, drained the PP out of it and reused it for the Dino.

This car doesn't dirty oil, period. So far. 2005 AccentGt, 22,000 miles. But I've used a different oil every OCI, and four OCI the first 10K, but when I started going 3-5k OCI the last 15K, different brand and type every time, I get the same results. Clear, clean oil to the bitter end of the OCI. PP is no different in my car from Havoline, MC, or M1. No difference in noise, smoothness, or consumption.

It's good oil, whatever it is. Grp III or V. The oils are ALL good, let's face it..

I have 4300 miles on PP 10w-30 in my 4.7 Dodge truck. My OCI's are 5k. I just checked the oil on the dipstick yesterday evening when I got home and darn if it isn't still golden!! I am still taking it out at 5k, but this is the only oil that has stayed this way as far as I can remember. I have been driving for 40 years. Dang, I didn't realize that until now. I am using the Amsoil SDF-15 Filter. Is this oil doing it's cleaning job or is the filter just that good?

Quote:

I have 4300 miles on PP 10w-30 in my 4.7 Dodge truck. My OCI's are 5k. I just checked the oil on the dipstick yesterday evening when I got home and darn if it isn't still golden!! I am still taking it out at 5k, but this is the only oil that has stayed this way as far as I can remember. I have been driving for 40 years. Dang, I didn't realize that until now. I am using the Amsoil SDF-15 Filter. Is this oil doing it's cleaning job or is the filter just that good?

Thats not a good thing

oil is supposed to pick up dirt and suspend it
if the oil stays clean your engine isn't being served well by the oil.

Can we get the mods to put up a big banner at the top of the forums that says something like "oil color or apparently 'cleaniness' is meaningless and therefore not worthy of discussion"?
deadhorse.gif

jeff

Do those of you reporting on the color of your PP know whether or not it's the "old" pre-11/2005 Group V or the "new" post-11/2005 Group III?

After all, that is another variable, and we need even more to talk about, right?
wink.gif

I promised to try this, but had photo problems. You'll have to take my word for it. Checked dipstip cold and put a couple of drops on a white piece of paper. From darkest to lightest:

1. Mobil 1 5w30 - 5000 km
2. Pennzoil Yellow or GTS (can't remember) - 4000 km
3. Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 - 4000 km

M1 was darkest followed closely by the conventional oil. PP was noticeably lighter than M1 and the conventional, but I would say still darker than I expected based on what it looked like on the dipstick.

Get Tom to GCMS this product and compare to the Euro Syntec and get back to us..

Mine came out relatively light from my truck.. it was dark but not black.. m1 always came out evil looking but not chunky.

I would define evil looking as black with glop falling out
(like the gf's work vehicle)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back